• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does she have any recourse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmendez46

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa.

Hi my daughter bought a car on a Friday she picked it up from the dealership on a Saturday. Later that same day she heard a noise in the back of the vehicle. She did not call Saturday because the dealership had closed by the time she heard the noise. She called them on Monday and told them that she was hearing a noise in the back of the vehicle They told her they could not get the vehicle in till Wednesday when they did get the vehicle in and looked at it. They told her the suspension system had snapped and needed replaced and that one of the tires was showing the belt and another one was in very bad shape and that they needed to replace all 4 tires. At the time of purchase she paid cash. They are now telling her that it's going to be $4,000 worth of work and that the warranty which was a manufacturer's warranty does not cover it. It was as is sale. Supposedly this vehicle was inspected for safety but they never disclosed any of these things to her. We live in the state of Iowa. Because she contacted them just 3 days after the purchase and brcause this vehicle could not have been correctly inspected and they not known about the suspension system and the tires. Does she have any recourse?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa.

Hi my daughter bought a car on a Friday she picked it up from the dealership on a Saturday. Later that same day she heard a noise in the back of the vehicle. She did not call Saturday because the dealership had closed by the time she heard the noise. She called them on Monday and told them that she was hearing a noise in the back of the vehicle They told her they could not get the vehicle in till Wednesday when they did get the vehicle in and looked at it. They told her the suspension system had snapped and needed replaced and that one of the tires was showing the belt and another one was in very bad shape and that they needed to replace all 4 tires. At the time of purchase she paid cash. They are now telling her that it's going to be $4,000 worth of work and that the warranty which was a manufacturer's warranty does not cover it. It was as is sale. Supposedly this vehicle was inspected for safety but they never disclosed any of these things to her. We live in the state of Iowa. Because she contacted them just 3 days after the purchase and brcause this vehicle could not have been correctly inspected and they not known about the suspension system and the tires. Does she have any recourse?
The vehicle was purchased 'as-is'? She did not have an independent mechanic look it over before she forked out the cash?

She has learned an expensive lesson. :cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't know what the laws are in your state, and not all states are the same. In my state, a car has to pass a state inspection within 7 days of a sale and if it cannot pass, the seller is responsible for the repairs.

Not all states have that kind of a law. But it might be worth your daughter's while to investigate what the laws in your state say.

I should probably add that the law in my state has multiple exceptions. But it would cover a purchase such as the one you've described. I have not reviewed the links for Iowa to see if the same is true there.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">