• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Odometer fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DckBtt

I'm in Illinois. Im 22 recently purchased a car for the first time(many lessons learned). It was from a private party. The odometer read ~98k miles and the title they signed read the same amount. I unfortunately did not take the car to a mechanic before transferring the title. After I registered the vehicle I took it into a mechanic and he told me I shouldn't put a penny into the car (transmission was going and engine was bad). He also told me that the odometer has been tampered with. Sure enough after I looked at the car report it showed that it was registered previously at over 200k miles.

My question is if the private party has any legal reason to give me a full or partial refund.

xylene

Contact the Illinois Attorney General Office with your complaint. They may be able to help you. You may be able to claim triple damages and civil penalty. It isn't hopeless but expect to fight.

HRZ

MOre than 10 years old?

A lot may depend on milegage reported on title just prior to yours ....any way to back check that ?
not a mere carfax the actual title paperwork....I suspect they are linked ..but confirm.

if it was on sellers prior title he or she may have a lot to worry about... the AGs office may or may not have resources to help...but winning makes them look good so help them look good

DckBtt

What actions do you recommend I take, any one specific in mind that I should contact. I would have no idea how I would see prior titles.

HRZ

I think Office of Secretary of State , Dept of Police has jurisdiction on odometer fraud in your state...google it ..may well have good information , if Carfax is best you have for now as to 200,000 miles previously reported ..so be it....I'm sure the enforcement agency has access to prior title information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">