• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Memory Exposed By Online Archive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bren582

Hello,
I am in NJ and I was charged with simple assault under the domestic violence act 20 years ago. The news paper article referencing the arrest has been placed online as a newspaper articles archive on the town library's web site for all to see. My name is at the beginning of the article making a hit when searched pretty easy. Pretty humiliating reminder of a bad time so many years ago.

Is there any way I can have this removed from internet view or at least get the library to blank out my name in the archive article?

Thanks..What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cyjeff

Not that I know of.

If the paper printed the article, it gets to stay in the archive.

Were you convicted of the charge?

racer72

That is the price one pays for committing a crime, it can and will follow them the rest of their life.

bren582

No conviction, My wife and I (She was my girl friend at the time) appeared before a judge, explained the situation and the issue was dismissed. There was no physical harm done so the judge accepted our explanation and that was it. We are happily married to this day 18yrs now.

We had a fight, It happens, Wife called the police and under the law at the time they had to arrest me simply because they responded to it..

So that's it.. Yes the news paper printed the article 20 yrs ago and like all articles its archived in the local library.. But now this Library is posting this archive on the internet.

Is there nothing I can do about it?

I'm not looking to erase history, just not have it exposed in this fashion. Nothing like technology to remind you and everyone else on the planet of your past mistakes..

quincy

It is not impossible for a newspaper to remove a copy of their paper from their archives, however they will only do this on rare occasions and with a demonstrated need.

If the article about your arrest is not untrue, however, then it is not defamatory - just humiliating. You could certainly contact the newspaper's editor (or publisher) and make a request for that particular edition to be pulled. I doubt if it will do any good, but it may be worth a try.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">