• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

case? insurance co gave out my info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

try

Why do you think this is slander, libel or defamation? And why do you think the insurance company did anything wrong?
because they are not supposed to give just anyone that info. And I just picked slander bc I didnt know what it would fall under. It cost me $4000 to prove I am right. Not to mention the hassle of it all

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No I was tying to find out if it would do me any good. and I would have been fine with her obtaining the info legally. now it is costing me roughly $4000 to prove that im doing exactly what im supposed to do. and I picked slander bc I didnt know what to call it
You mean that it's going to cost you money to prove that you're defrauding the insurance company and, quite possibly, the lienholder of the vehicle?

You call the ex dumb, but she seems very smart to me. I believe it's dumb for you to have done what you have done.

quincy

No I was tying to find out if it would do me any good. and I would have been fine with her obtaining the info legally. now it is costing me roughly $4000 to prove that im doing exactly what im supposed to do. and I picked slander bc I didnt know what to call it
Fair enough. A lot of posters wind up posting in the defamation section because they aren't real sure what defamation is. :)

It is too bad that your ex did not believe you were being honest with her and you are now having to prove it. Court actions can get costly, especially when attorneys are involved.

There is little worth doing about the insurance disclosure, however. Sorry.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
because they are not supposed to give just anyone that info. And I just picked slander bc I didnt know what it would fall under. It cost me $4000 to prove I am right. Not to mention the hassle of it all
Your ex has the legal right to take you to court over this. She would have the same right even had she obtained no information.

try

I predict that court is not going to go well for you. You are playing fast and loose with the insurance company in order to save money, but you expect her to credit you for the cost of your insurance rather than hers. She doesn't even live in your household and you are insuring her on a car that she does not drive, while letting her drive a car insured in your name and keep it at an address where you do not live. That is a disaster in the making.

I didn't come up with any of that. The owner of the franchise sat down with me and said that was the best way to do it. and I have it in writing with his signature on it. I am not trying to beat the system, or pay less than I should I am actually paying 218 a month extra. And u must not understand that Im not saving Anything! Its not my insurance that I am talking about. I added a car to my bill and I added the cost of her being insured on my policy. And I dont care what anyone says the Insurance co. is not supposed to give my info to anyone who does not have permission from me. Do u think I could call and ask a co. how much Shaq pays a month for insurance and they would give it to me?

quincy

Your ex has the legal right to take you to court over this. She would have the same right even had she obtained no information.
I hate when exes play games. Continued court actions only serve to keep bad relationships alive, when the parties should be concentrating on moving ahead with their lives.

Try, your insurance information would have to have been disclosed anyway. It is best to accept that and start preparing for court. You might consider having your insurance agent in court to explain why your insurance is as it is.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You should have called it insurance fraud because that is what you are doing. YOU are committing insurance fraud.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I didn't come up with any of that. The owner of the franchise sat down with me and said that was the best way to do it. and I have it in writing with his signature on it. I am not trying to beat the system, or pay less than I should I am actually paying 218 a month extra. And u must not understand that Im not saving Anything! Its not my insurance that I am talking about. I added a car to my bill and I added the cost of her being insured on my policy. And I dont care what anyone says the Insurance co. is not supposed to give my info to anyone who does not have permission from me. Do u think I could call and ask a co. how much Shaq pays a month for insurance and they would give it to me?
Are you on Shaq's insurance?

try

You’ve not said what the family court issue is about, but it relates to support chances are she was entitled to get this information anyway. With that in mind, what harm, exactly, did you suffer as a result of this? Bear in mind that the courts won’t be keen to hear an argument that basically goes “I had to pay more support because I wasn't able to deceive the family court by hiding my real income and assets.” If you suffered no legally recognized loss, you have nothing for which to sue even if you could otherwise make out the case that agent had a duty to keep that information private.

Ok do me a favor. Just answer me this. All the money numbers are correct. and the agency owner is who made my policy up the way it is. with that being said, is it legal for an insurance co to give Anyone a persons info such as how many things insured and how much ea. cost? Because the owner of the co. said to me that no the info shouldnt have been given to anyone. And i will not have to pay a dime more at court no matter how the policy is set up bc I am paying 218 a month more than the judge said i had to. My problem is the 4000 i am having to pay for no reason

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You mean your insurance agent or the people who sold you the car?

You ex has a right to know the details about the insurance on the car she drives. I agree with LDij that what you are doing is at best dodgy. If having your ex as the primary driver on the only car that she drives will increase the rate, then there is a (actuarial) reason for that.

I get that you don't want her knowing what you're up to. But you're the one who agreed to keep the ties, through payments on this car.

adjusterjack

I'm only going to address the insurance issue.

I worked it out with the co. to put her primary on one of my older vehicales and insured me on the car she drives to bring the cost down.
Once you put your ex on the policy, your ex had every right to access the policy information. The agent did nothing wrong or illegal in giving policy information to your ex. That's why you have no case against the agent.

I didn't come up with any of that. The owner of the franchise sat down with me and said that was the best way to do it. and I have it in writing with his signature on it.
That could be a big problem for the agent if there are any claim consequences for misrepresenting underwriting information to the insurance company. But it has nothing to do with your problems with your ex.

And I don't care what anyone says the Insurance co. is not supposed to give my info to anyone who does not have permission from me.
That you don't care what anyone says doesn't change the fact that, by putting her on the policy, you gave her the access to the policy information.

Do u think I could call and ask a co. how much Shaq pays a month for insurance and they would give it to me?
You could if you were listed as a driver on Shaq's policy, just like your ex is listed on yours.

Just Blue

Ok do me a favor. Just answer me this. All the money numbers are correct. and the agency owner is who made my policy up the way it is. with that being said, is it legal for an insurance co to give Anyone a persons info such as how many things insured and how much ea. cost? Because the owner of the co. said to me that no the info shouldnt have been given to anyone. And i will not have to pay a dime more at court no matter how the policy is set up bc I am paying 218 a month more than the judge said i had to. My problem is the 4000 i am having to pay for no reason
The 4K you keep referring to....Is that for the attorney in the CS case? If so...Go Pro Se. ;)

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
She. Is. On. The. Policy.

She. Is. Actively. Driving.

Had you voluntarily given her a copy of everything, she wouldn't be taking you to court. Remind me: how are you so sure that her lawyer didn't subpeona those records? Are you aware that it would not be considered unreasonable for her lawyer to subpoena those records?

My legal advice is to get everything pertaining to her out of your name. She should be paying for her car and her car insurance herself.

quincy

If everything is aboveboard, you have nothing to fear in court. Have your agent with you to explain the policy to the court.

There is no privacy breach, based on the information you have provided here, however. Your ex is entitled to the policy information.

If you think there might be a problem with how you handled the insurance, hire an attorney.

try

You mean that it's going to cost you money to prove that you're defrauding the insurance company and, quite possibly, the lienholder of the vehicle?

You call the ex dumb, but she seems very smart to me. I believe it's dumb for you to have done what you have done.
I havent done Anything. I went to my insurance agent and said I want to insure a car and my daughter is going to drive it. The flippin Owner was who I was talking to. He said ok this is the best way to do it and everybody will be covered. after he was finished I told her what the amount was. So just what is it that u think I did Dumb pal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">