+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Disabilty Fraud

Lightbulb Disabilty Fraud

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
    florida How can I find out wha the reason a person who is getting ss disability is?

Quote Originally Posted by perotp View Post
    florida How can I find out wha the reason a person who is getting ss disability is?
    Generally, it's none of your business. Why are you asking?

You could ask the person.

Where is the defamation?

Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    You could ask the person.

Where is the defamation?
    Perhaps it occurs every time the OP suggests that another party is committing fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    Perhaps it occurs every time the OP suggests that another party is committing fraud?
    Suggesting someone is committing fraud without proof of its truth could certainly be defamatory. True.

You can't.

That information is not publicly available. Unless the person chooses to tell you or you are made the medical power of attorney over that person, it's none of your business.

Two things I am tired of typing: 1.) A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do; it means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law. 2.) The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding contract or CBA expressly says otherwise. If it does, the terms of the contract apply.
    Why do you feel the need to have this information?

Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    You can't.

That information is not publicly available. Unless the person chooses to tell you or you are made the medical power of attorney over that person, it's none of your business.
    Well, yes. perotp can.

I gave one way how to get the information and you gave another. A third way is through a court action (discovery, subpoena).

It would be nice to know why the information is needed, though. If a defamation suit has been filed against perotp over "false" claims of fraud, it can be important for perotp to discover the truth so it potentially can be used as a defense.

Well, we both suggested that he could find out if the person in question told him.

If perotp has been sued for defamation over calling the disability fraud, he should have kept his mouth shut until he actually had some kind of proof. If he gets into trouble about it now, he's going to have to hope that a court is willing to order it.

People do have a right of medical privacy.

Two things I am tired of typing: 1.) A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do; it means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law. 2.) The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding contract or CBA expressly says otherwise. If it does, the terms of the contract apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    Well, we both suggested that he could find out if the person in question told him.

If perotp has been sued for defamation over calling the disability fraud, he should have kept his mouth shut until he actually had some kind of proof. If he gets into trouble about it now, he's going to have to hope that a court is willing to order it.

People do have a right of medical privacy.
    Medical records can be, and are, subpoenaed for use in a court action.

I agree that, IF the question asked by perotp has anything at all to do with defamation - and was not just placed in this section of the forum due to confusion over what defamation actually is (which is not an uncommon occurrence ) - it would be nice if perotp returned to fill us in on some details.

If a report on fraud or suspected fraud was made to the Social Security Administration (perhaps using the SSA Hotline), this type of communication would be privileged (although the privilege is a qualified one, subject to defeat upon a showing of actual malice). It would be unprivileged false statements of fact that potentially could support a defamation claim.

+ Reply to Thread