• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm horrible, I know, but...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badgirlverybad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
I made a remark on youtube, the person accused me of being drunk or high (untrue), so I remarked about some family things I know about that may or may not be true (hard to prove), now she is threatening to sue me for slander, and has her family and friends attacking me, and hacking my accounts. They've posted my real name and things about me. I had to remove my account. I had removed the comments, apologized several times, but they just kept attacking and threatening to sue. Do they have a leg to stand on? (I said her dad was cheating on her mom which helped lead to her suicide, he married his 'side piece' soon after). But she can still keep accusing me of drinking or using drugs, as can her friends?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
I made a remark on youtube, the person accused me of being drunk or high (untrue), so I remarked about some family things I know about that may or may not be true (hard to prove), now she is threatening to sue me for slander, and has her family and friends attacking me, and hacking my accounts. They've posted my real name and things about me. I had to remove my account. I had removed the comments, apologized several times, but they just kept attacking and threatening to sue. Do they have a leg to stand on? (I said her dad was cheating on her mom which helped lead to her suicide, he married his 'side piece' soon after). But she can still keep accusing me of drinking or using drugs, as can her friends?

I do not necessarily see a viable defamation case against you (or you against her, given that you've suffered no damages) - but you did, as you know, an incredibly stupid and hurtful thing.

Next time? Keep your mouth FIRMLY shut.

badgirlverybad

Yes, well, it's the internet

People flame each other all the time. I was wrong for getting personal, I removed the messages (which they apparently screen printed), I apologized, but they keep going, and going, and going. I reported them for harassment, admitted to my part, and cancelled my account. This woman is supposed to be a DOCTOR, and she's a psycho!

Proserpina

People flame each other all the time. I was wrong for getting personal, I removed the messages (which they apparently screen printed), I apologized, but they keep going, and going, and going. I reported them for harassment, admitted to my part, and cancelled my account. This woman is supposed to be a DOCTOR, and she's a psycho!

I would be very careful making such allegations against her if I were you.

Antigone*

Some people never learn:rolleyes:

quincy

Yes, the dad and/or his new wife can sue you for libel. You publicly accused the dad of being the indirect cause of his wife's death, and you accused him of adultery and the new wife of immoral conduct.

Yes, you can sue for libel whoever posted falsely that you were drunk or high.

All of you would have to spend countless thousands of dollars, and months of your life, pursuing such actions. The libel actions themselves are liable to cause additional reputational injury to all of you, as defamation cases often get nasty, the court hearings are public and the court documents become part of a public record.

Should any of you win an action (the odds of a win perhaps favor the dad and/or his new wife based on what you have posted here), there could be difficulty collecting on any judgment awarded. And any judgment awarded, without a sufficient showing of reputational harm over any presumed harm, could be less than what is spent on attorney fees and court costs.

The fact that you removed your defamatory comments and apologized is good, but that in itself does not preclude a suit being filed against you. Any harm from the original publication has been done and cannot be removed so easily.

If you have proof that your account has been hacked, and proof that one of these individuals was the hacker, you can file a police report. You can potentially file an harassment complaint, as well, to hopefully curtail any additional defamatory comments made about you. But you must also curtail any additional defamatory comments that you make (including calling the doctor a "psycho").

Cutting off all contact and communication of any kind with this family is wise and advised.

If you are served with a summons and complaint, contact an attorney in your area for advice and direction.

Hot Topic

You are some piece of work. I suspect that you feel very sorry for yourself, and never mind that you created the situation.

Stay off the internet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">