• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Libel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Washburgh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I made two comments on the Facebook post of my friends ex-husbands new wife. They live in a different state than me. I made the comment "believing everything he tells you is a mistake," somewhere in her response she stated that her husband had been at his current job for 19 years, I responded back correcting her that it has been 17. That's it. Apparently my friends ex and new wife are furious, they do not seem reasonable and I can see them threatening to sue. Any advice? Do you think my comment is libel?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I made two comments on the Facebook post of my friends ex-husbands new wife. They live in a different state than me. I made the comment "believing everything he tells you is a mistake," somewhere in her response she stated that her husband had been at his current job for 19 years, I responded back correcting her that it has been 17. That's it. Apparently my friends ex and new wife are furious, they do not seem reasonable and I can see them threatening to sue. Any advice? Do you think my comment is libel?
Your comment is not libel.

With that said...why even post? It's really none of your business.

quincy

Facts matter. What you have presented in the way of facts is not enough to say if what was published can be judged defamatory. It doesn't seem so on its face. And truth will always be a defense to any claim of defamation.

Because defamation claims are expensive to pursue, I cannot see any legal action worth the cost of pursuing, even if what you wrote was not accurate.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Yup: Mind your own business and stop communicating with your friend's ex-husband's new wife.

quincy

Given her OP, I have a feeling that she needs to hear that advice repeatedly. :rolleyes:
I think it is probably good advice for everyone to follow (although I suppose not everyone will have a friend's ex-husband's new wife in their lives). :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">