• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible disciplinary action due to facebook status. Thoughts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueberry1038

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am in a quite unpleasant situation, and I would like your opinion regarding it. There was a "cheating" scandal at my medical school a few weeks ago. "Stolen" exams have been passed down from previous classes, and one person in my class decided to share them with 40 others via this website called "DropBox" or something like that. One person in my class, who's been doing poorly in that class, decided to be a telltale and informed the Dean of Ethics at my school. As a punishment, they voided the exam, and now everyone has to retake it. This course is the toughest course at dental school, and people usually spend 3-4 weeks preparing for each exam. Everyone became furious. The teachers made the following exam extremely difficult, and about 75% of people failed it. Now the person who supposedly ratted everyone out is the public enemy number one at school. After the exam, I decided to express my anger (probably not a smart thing to do) on facebook and wrote the following:

"Because of one c-word (didn't say ****) in my class, school's become a living hell, and now it looks like im gonna have to cancel my plans to see my best friends from college. thanks a ton. 99 problems and a b is one, snitches get stitches!"

A lot of ppl i know found it pretty funny. I didn't explicitly say the "foul" words, and the last sentence is a parody of a popular song and a catchphrase. A few days later, I received an email from the Dean of Ethics at my school requesting a meeting. The email didn't specify what the meeting was for. This morning I had a meeting with her. She said, "As a woman, I found the post very offensive and saw it as a threat. I understand everyone is really upset about the situation, but you have to be more professional. You are not in college anymore. The ethical board is going to have a meeting or hearing to examine the professional code of conduct and see what they have to say." I explained to her it was simply an expression of my feelings, certainly not a threat. I wanted to ask, "why do you have access to my facebook profile" but I wasn't sure if being confrontational would help me in any ways.

I honestly find this situation pretty laughable, and so do most people in my class. People's reaction was, "are we in fckin elementary school?" My action was certainly unprofessional and immature, but here's my defense: 1) Why do u have access to my facebook profile? 2) I didn't specifically mention who I referred to and didn't use those "banned" words. B words and C words could be anything. Where's my freedom of speech? Also, this occurred in a non-professional/school setting.

I dont know how things would turn out for me. I am just praying that they simply warn me. What are your thoughts on this situation?

tranquility

Unless it is a government school, freedom of speech has nothing to do with it. Also, generally, you still have to take responsibility for your speech even in a government context.

I'd say that if the school thinks you have a problem, you have a problem. There's probably at least a half a dozen deans (at a large school) who are specifically tasked on diversity, sexual harassment and the like. Your comments violate political correctness and those deans (all all employed by their departments) don't like free thinking different from what got them the job in the first place.

Because this is medical school, I might see an attorney. Yes, it is that serious. Silly, but serious. You can wait to see what action they can take against you, but I would be VERY careful about what you say.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am in a quite unpleasant situation, and I would like your opinion regarding it. There was a "cheating" scandal at my medical school a few weeks ago. "Stolen" exams have been passed down from previous classes, and one person in my class decided to share them with 40 others via this website called "DropBox" or something like that. One person in my class, who's been doing poorly in that class, decided to be a telltale and informed the Dean of Ethics at my school. As a punishment, they voided the exam, and now everyone has to retake it. This course is the toughest course at dental school, and people usually spend 3-4 weeks preparing for each exam. Everyone became furious. The teachers made the following exam extremely difficult, and about 75% of people failed it. Now the person who supposedly ratted everyone out is the public enemy number one at school. After the exam, I decided to express my anger (probably not a smart thing to do) on facebook and wrote the following:

"Because of one c-word (didn't say ****) in my class, school's become a living hell, and now it looks like im gonna have to cancel my plans to see my best friends from college. thanks a ton. 99 problems and a b is one, snitches get stitches!"

A lot of ppl i know found it pretty funny. I didn't explicitly say the "foul" words, and the last sentence is a parody of a popular song and a catchphrase. A few days later, I received an email from the Dean of Ethics at my school requesting a meeting. The email didn't specify what the meeting was for. This morning I had a meeting with her. She said, "As a woman, I found the post very offensive and saw it as a threat. I understand everyone is really upset about the situation, but you have to be more professional. You are not in college anymore. The ethical board is going to have a meeting or hearing to examine the professional code of conduct and see what they have to say." I explained to her it was simply an expression of my feelings, certainly not a threat. I wanted to ask, "why do you have access to my facebook profile" but I wasn't sure if being confrontational would help me in any ways.

I honestly find this situation pretty laughable, and so do most people in my class. People's reaction was, "are we in fckin elementary school?" My action was certainly unprofessional and immature, but here's my defense: 1) Why do u have access to my facebook profile? 2) I didn't specifically mention who I referred to and didn't use those "banned" words. B words and C words could be anything. Where's my freedom of speech? Also, this occurred in a non-professional/school setting.

I dont know how things would turn out for me. I am just praying that they simply warn me. What are your thoughts on this situation?
Threatening another student with physical harm...I think they should do much more than warn.

And, I agree: What, are you in elementary school? :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I didn't threaten the student with physical harm. It's just an expression, like karma is a bitch.
See, that's the problem. You basically said that snitches (that girl) will get stitches (injuries requiring medical attention.)

Grow up and pray you get out of this with a warning.

tranquility

As a punishment, they voided the exam, and now everyone has to retake it. This course is the toughest course at dental school, and people usually spend 3-4 weeks preparing for each exam. Everyone became furious.
On a side note, at a PROFESSIONAL-LEVEL school, "preparing for each exam" time should be spent LEARNING THE MATERIAL and not memorizing facts for the short term.

sandyclaus

Welcome to the world where people's Facebook pages become part of their job applications, background checks, and criminal records.

IMHO, what you posted there was intended to threaten the "tattletale", or at the very least, incite other class members to do something about the "problem". You WANTED others to see your status - and you're surprised that school officials got wind of the threats? Silly you. Most of your life is going to be memorialized somewhere on the internet - it's a fact of the times.

Quite frankly, I'm pleased that the school took the action that it did. I personally would not want to be attended to by a doctor, dentist, or other medical professional who skated their way through medical school. It's supposed to be difficult for a reason - because not everyone is cut out for that kind of career. Shame on you for taking offense. The fact that 75% of those that took the new, revised exams failed says to me that too many of you were relying on the cheats provided to you by your previous classmates. You weren't learning anything that you needed to know. You're pissed off? GOOD. You want to take it out on the one who chose to report and make the course a real challenge? That's just par for the course. Too many people want to take the easy way out, and the moment that they actually have to WORK for something they want, it weeds out the truly talented from the mere wannabes who are in it for the prestige and glory.

blueberry1038

Is it best to fully admit my fault, accept the consequences, and promise them I would exhibit my utmost behavior from now on?

ecmst12

So...someone stole an exam and distributed it to the class and you took advantage of the illegal information....and you are now SURPRISED that there are consequences to the entire class for that stupidity? One girl does the right thing and she gets threats. This is beyond childish and unprofessional. This is behavior that can get you ARRESTED. If you want to not get kicked out of school over this, you'd better change your attitude to one of contrition in a HURRY.

blueberry1038

So...someone stole an exam and distributed it to the class and you took advantage of the illegal information....and you are now SURPRISED that there are consequences to the entire class for that stupidity? One girl does the right thing and she gets threats. This is beyond childish and unprofessional. This is behavior that can get you ARRESTED. If you want to not get kicked out of school over this, you'd better change your attitude to one of contrition in a HURRY.
I wasn't one of the people who benefited from the "stolen" exams. I never had access to it. Me and others who didn't have access to it are all victims. My action was certainly wrong, and I admit it. Based on everyone's response, I concluded that it's best to apologize everyone for my stupid action and just hope they give me another chance to exhibit the utmost behavior.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">