+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    9

    Posting legal doc

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

    Is it permissible to post publicly (Facebook) the legal document that shows the decision in a small claims case against a business? A friend says it might result in claims of harm against the business ... but I would think because it is true, and even small claims are public record? that this would exempt me from being liable ... any idea?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    9
    I should add that it merely shows the decision, (plaintiff, defendant, judgment) there are no details ....


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    guess ;)
    Posts
    30,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnettles5 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

    Is it permissible to post publicly (Facebook) the legal document that shows the decision in a small claims case against a business? A friend says it might result in claims of harm against the business ... but I would think because it is true, and even small claims are public record? that this would exempt me from being liable ... any idea?
    Is there a GOOD reason you wish to do this....or do you just wish to be smug?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    9
    Smug isn't the best word in this instance, but you can say it is more like spiking the ball in the end zone. Which, after what I dealt with, is justifiable.

    To be exact, as I describe my TRUE problems with this entity, it will give credibility to it.

    Just want to know if I could expose myself to liability ...


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnettles5 View Post

    Just want to know if I could expose myself to liability ...
    Maybe, maybe not. You could open yourself to an expensive defense to a legal action. Take your win and move on.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    guess ;)
    Posts
    30,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnettles5 View Post
    Smug isn't the best word in this instance, but you can say it is more like spiking the ball in the end zone. Which, after what I dealt with, is justifiable.

    To be exact, as I describe my TRUE problems with this entity, it will give credibility to it.

    Just want to know if I could expose myself to liability ...
    Soooo....You want to "Gronk" it?

    Yes. You might be "exposing" yourself to liability. Depends. Are you going to post it on your FB page or on a place that EVERYONE can see?

    ETA: You are right ....smug was the wrong word. Gloat is the correct one.


    Last edited by Bambi01; 01-09-2018 at 10:54 AM.
  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,187
    The document itself isn't going to be what causes you a problem. What you say along with it may be.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    guess ;)
    Posts
    30,510
    Quote Originally Posted by PayrollHRGuy View Post
    The document itself isn't going to be what causes you a problem. What you say along with it may be.
    ^^like^^
    **************....


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnettles5 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

    Is it permissible to post publicly (Facebook) the legal document that shows the decision in a small claims case against a business? A friend says it might result in claims of harm against the business ... but I would think because it is true, and even small claims are public record? that this would exempt me from being liable ... any idea?
    What "legal document" from the small claims case are you talking about?

    Could the business be considering an appeal?

    Public records can generally be published online (sometimes redactions are necessary) but (and I agree with PayRoll guy), any added commentary can change legal to legally problematic.


    Last edited by quincy; 01-09-2018 at 12:42 PM.
  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnettles5 View Post
    Smug isn't the best word in this instance, but you can say it is more like spiking the ball in the end zone. Which, after what I dealt with, is justifiable.

    To be exact, as I describe my TRUE problems with this entity, it will give credibility to it.

    Just want to know if I could expose myself to liability ...
    And the fact that you would obviously be doing it maliciously could open you up to a lawsuit that (even if you win) could drive you into bankruptcy just from the cost of defending yourself.

    I agree with "take the win" and move on.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnettles5 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

    Is it permissible to post publicly (Facebook) the legal document that shows the decision in a small claims case against a business? A friend says it might result in claims of harm against the business ... but I would think because it is true, and even small claims are public record? that this would exempt me from being liable ... any idea?
    Posting a copy of the small claims judgment itself, without more, would not give you much trouble. Of course, that judgment by itself wouldn’t tell anyone anything about the dispute you had with the business, either, so I’m not sure what you’d get from that.

    What you say in addition to posting the judgment might be something that could give you trouble, depending on what that was.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29,224
    Here is a link to Pennsylvania's new "public access policy" on case records that went into effect on January 6, 2018: http://www.pacourts.us/assets/opinio...ad-attach1.pdf

    The new policy balances personal privacy and personal security with the public's right to know. There is some information in court records and some court records that should not be published online.

    I am really not seeing a good reason to publish a small claims court decision. The dispute with the business has been resolved.


+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. legal question to posting flyers
    By stunt101 in forum Starting and Operating a Business
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM
  2. legal question r/t rvb2005 posting
    By rvb2005 in forum Hiring, Firing & Wrongful Termination
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 10:25 AM
  3. Are image posting / rating sites legal?
    By LisaMartWeb in forum Computers / Software & Internet Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 01:39 PM
  4. Is this contract legal? (States listed in posting)
    By triadtech in forum Starting and Operating a Business
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2001, 04:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.