• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posting legal doc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gnettles5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Is it permissible to post publicly (Facebook) the legal document that shows the decision in a small claims case against a business? A friend says it might result in claims of harm against the business ... but I would think because it is true, and even small claims are public record? that this would exempt me from being liable ... any idea?

Gnettles5

I should add that it merely shows the decision, (plaintiff, defendant, judgment) there are no details ....

Just Blue

Is it permissible to post publicly (Facebook) the legal document that shows the decision in a small claims case against a business? A friend says it might result in claims of harm against the business ... but I would think because it is true, and even small claims are public record? that this would exempt me from being liable ... any idea?
Is there a GOOD reason you wish to do this....or do you just wish to be smug?

Gnettles5

Smug isn't the best word in this instance, but you can say it is more like spiking the ball in the end zone. Which, after what I dealt with, is justifiable.

To be exact, as I describe my TRUE problems with this entity, it will give credibility to it.

Just want to know if I could expose myself to liability ...

Just Blue

Smug isn't the best word in this instance, but you can say it is more like spiking the ball in the end zone. Which, after what I dealt with, is justifiable.

To be exact, as I describe my TRUE problems with this entity, it will give credibility to it.

Soooo....You want to "Gronk" it?

Yes. You might be "exposing" yourself to liability. Depends. Are you going to post it on your FB page or on a place that EVERYONE can see?

ETA: You are right ....smug was the wrong word. Gloat is the correct one.

Last edited:

quincy

What "legal document" from the small claims case are you talking about?

Could the business be considering an appeal?

Public records can generally be published online (sometimes redactions are necessary) but (and I agree with PayRoll guy), any added commentary can change legal to legally problematic.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

And the fact that you would obviously be doing it maliciously could open you up to a lawsuit that (even if you win) could drive you into bankruptcy just from the cost of defending yourself.

I agree with "take the win" and move on.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

Posting a copy of the small claims judgment itself, without more, would not give you much trouble. Of course, that judgment by itself wouldn’t tell anyone anything about the dispute you had with the business, either, so I’m not sure what you’d get from that.

What you say in addition to posting the judgment might be something that could give you trouble, depending on what that was.

quincy

Here is a link to Pennsylvania's new "public access policy" on case records that went into effect on January 6, 2018: http://www.pacourts.us/assets/opinions/Supreme/out/477jad-attach1.pdf

The new policy balances personal privacy and personal security with the public's right to know. There is some information in court records and some court records that should not be published online.

I am really not seeing a good reason to publish a small claims court decision. The dispute with the business has been resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">