• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posting of private conversation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B1425

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I'm wondering if we have anything here...my husband's ex posted multiple conversations the two of them had on Our Family Wizard, to a Facebook messenger group with about 15 members who are the parents of the girls in his daughter's girl scout group. She explicitly stated "(child's name)'s dad" and posted screenshots of the conversation, which displayed his name, thereby identifying him. We are wondering if we have anything here for defamation, as her intent was to embarrass him or "turn the other parents against him". I was also wondering if this would fall under any internet privacy laws as Our Family Wizard is a secure platform for parties to communicate that is protected under a username and password. Thanks so much!

PayrollHRGuy

You haven't stated if anything she posted was false because generally truth is a defense to defamation.

As for Family Wizard she didn't access it illegally if someone gave her the username and password. You need to take that up with your husband as who else could have given her the login info.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As for Family Wizard she didn't access it illegally if someone gave her the username and password. You need to take that up with your husband as who else could have given her the login info.
Our Family Wizard is like a "private" chat room (that is recorded so it can be used in court later, among other things.) What happened is no different than if the guy had written a note and the recipient of the note proceeded to put it on the bulletin board at the local supermarket.

ETA: There was no improper access - each party has their own login.

PayrollHRGuy

I'm well aware of the nature of Family Wizard. The OP wrote, "I was also wondering if this would fall under any internet privacy laws as Our Family Wizard is a secure platform for parties to communicate that is protected under a username and password." which seems to imply that the person that posted wasn't supposed to have access.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm well aware of the nature of Family Wizard. The OP wrote, "I was also wondering if this would fall under any internet privacy laws as Our Family Wizard is a secure platform for parties to communicate that is protected under a username and password." which seems to imply that the person that posted wasn't supposed to have access.
I took it more to mean that the OP thought that having a username and password somehow gave some protection to the information shared.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I'm wondering if we have anything here...my husband's ex posted multiple conversations the two of them had on Our Family Wizard, to a Facebook messenger group with about 15 members who are the parents of the girls in his daughter's girl scout group. She explicitly stated "(child's name)'s dad" and posted screenshots of the conversation, which displayed his name, thereby identifying him. We are wondering if we have anything here for defamation, as her intent was to embarrass him or "turn the other parents against him". I was also wondering if this would fall under any internet privacy laws as Our Family Wizard is a secure platform for parties to communicate that is protected under a username and password. Thanks so much!
Your husband's ex did not defame your husband unless what was said by HER about him in their conversations on Our Family Wizard were harmful lies. Repeating damaging lies told in private conversations to others on Facebook could be defamation.

Because your husband now knows that his ex is publishing what is said between them, he will want to keep all future conversations with his ex on the benign side. He should not consider these conversations private.

I think the ex's actions were cruel, by the way. Hurting the dad hurts the daughter.

quincy

I can see that. She would, of course, be wrong.
A username and password provides a degree of privacy. These conversations are not meant for public consumption. That said, Our Family Wizard conversations can by no means be considered confidential and one should know that all that is said can be used later.

LdiJ

Your husband's ex did not defame your husband unless what was said by HER about him in their conversations on Our Family Wizard were harmful lies. Repeating damaging lies told in private conversations to others on Facebook could be defamation.

Because your husband now knows that his ex is publishing what is said between them, he will want to keep all future conversations with his ex on the benign side. He should not consider these conversations private.

I think the ex's actions were cruel, by the way. Hurting the dad hurts the daughter.
Your husband should also be aware that the judge has access to everything that he says on My Family Wizard, which is kind of the whole point of My Family Wizard. He should never say anything there that he isn't willing for the whole world to see.

quincy

Your husband should also be aware that the judge has access to everything that he says on My Family Wizard, which is kind of the whole point of My Family Wizard. He should never say anything there that he isn't willing for the whole world to see.
Right. It is a tool that can be used to keep divorced couples civil with each other.

If B1425's husband was embarrassed by the disclosure of what he said to his ex, perhaps he will be careful what he says to his ex in the future.

The ex should not have published the conversation on Facebook for the parents of her daughter's friends, however. That caused unnecessary harm.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
The ex should not have published the conversation on Facebook for the parents of her daughter's friends, however. That caused unnecessary harm.
Unless, of course, they already thought he was a glass-bowl. Then it may not have changed their opinions at all! :D

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I think OP should consider what her dear hubby is communicating that would be of any interest or relevance to the Girl Scouts.

As someone who led a Girl Scout troop where multiple parents had felony convictions...

quincy

Unless, of course, they already thought he was a glass-bowl. Then it may not have changed their opinions at all! :D
True. :D

I think the major issue with the husband (or with B1425, at any rate) is embarrassment over what was said. It can be hard to have your own words reflected back at you if you've been an obvious jerk.

B1425

Thank you for all the actual advice. As for the conversation she posted, it had nothing to do with girl scouts, nor did the content make sense with the conversation that was being had between the GS parents. The only reason we wanted to see if he could pursue anything with her actions is because she keeps pushing limits and doesnt seem to think or care how it might affect their daughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">