• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need to move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yikesss

I don't want to live with my parents and my grandparents will soon be moving to Florida. I want to move with them. I'll be 16 in November and from what I've heard at that time I can choose where to live but I don't know how that process works or if that's even true

justalayman

I don't want to live with my parents and my grandparents will soon be moving to Florida. I want to move with them. I'll be 16 in November and from what I've heard at that time I can choose where to live but I don't know how that process works or if that's even true
You get to choose where to live once you turn 18 (in almost all states but you didn't name your state). Until then you live where your parents tell you to live or alllow you to live.

Yikesss

That's one of the states where you become an adult at 18 and can decide where you live after you reach that age.
Okay so what would happen if I went to "visit" them and tried not to come back? Knowing my parents they would try to fight it , if it went to court what would happen

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Okay so what would happen if I went to "visit" them and tried not to come back? Knowing my parents they would try to fight it , if it went to court what would happen
You would be put into foster care until your parents could come and get you. If you ran away again, you could be declared incorrigible and put into the juvenile justice system.

justalayman

Fight it? There's no fighting it. Your parents report you as a runaway. The police come by your grandparents home and pick you up and tke you to a juvenile detention center until your parents pick you up or transportation is arranged. If your grandparents assisted in you running way they could be charged with aiding you.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You really think you grandparents are stupid enough to get into this mess?!

P.S. As my father always said, "The only thing I *have* to do is breath my next breath."

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">