• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loan against annuity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anly

What is the name of your state? California

I will be the Guardian of my elder sister who has terminal Alzheimer's/Dementia. She receives a $1500 monthly annuity from my father's trust. (it's a 15 year annuity) Her monthly expense at the (a) care facility is almost $5000 a month with possible additional expenses. I will try to apply for Medicare to defray some of those costs but they will not cover it all. The annuity is locked down tight and cannot be touched. So, I was wondering, when I become her Legal Guardian is it possible to take out a loan, in her name, using the annuity as collateral to pay for her care costs? Then, when she passes all the financial obligations would be resolved through probate, wouldn't they?

See portion of thread posted here:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/elder-law-powers-attorney-living-wills-advance-health-care-directives-115/where-apply-guardianship-471016.html#post2280287What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">