• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can My EX-GF get a restraining order against ME (if we live in different states)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisweed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

MY ex-gf (hardly ---> more like a fling) lives in Cal. has hired an attorney and fired off a letter to me threatening me and telling me to cease and desist end contact with her and her daughter. If i make any more contact with her she will be filing for a request for a restrainf order under Cal Code 6220 DVPA which he assures me will be granted. What i dont understand is how due to there being two juridictions involved, (CA & IL), this is such a slam dunk for them? A. i would have to be properly served, and B. you can't just drag an IL citizen into Cal prison "if" i was to violate a restraining order (not that i ever would).

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

MY ex-gf (hardly ---> more like a fling) live in Cal. has hired an attorney and fired off a letter to me threatening me and telling me to cease and desist and contact with her and her daughter. If i make any more contact with her she will be filing for a request for a restrainf order under Cal Code 6220 DVPA which he assures me will be granted. What i dont understand is how due to there being two juridictions involved, (CA & IL), this is such a slam dunk for them? A. i would have to be properly served, and B. you can't just drag an IL citizen into Cal prison "if" i was to violate a restraining order (not that i ever would).
Yes it is very possible that she COULD get a restraining order. You can be properly served and you could have a warrant out for your arrest if you were to violate a restraining order. Why are you contacting your "fling" if she doesn't matter? What types of things are you saying to her and her daughter?

lewisweed

Yes it is very possible that she COULD get a restraining order. You can be properly served and you could have a warrant out for your arrest if you were to violate a restraining order. Why are you contacting your "fling" if she doesn't matter? What types of things are you saying to her and her daughter?
umm, that her mother is a drunk driver, etc. things that her daughter should know, things that i do not want on my conscious anymore. so maybe it was more than a fling, seeing that the woman was going to quit her job & move out here, but thats no longer the point. She keeps messing with me going back & forth and back & forth, aka when there's no boyfriend around guess who she contacts... = me. anyways, i don't understand how i can get a restraining order just like that when she just contacted me last week, but then again i'm sure the courts always take the woman's side and probably issue these like free candy at a parade. what really boggles my mind is the jurisdiction issue? what are they going to extradite me to CA and send me to LA county prison?

Last edited by a moderator:

mmmagique

Omg, she really dodged a bullet with you, didn't she? I honestly think you should fight it. Go to court and say all the stuff you spouted here. I'm sure the court will appreciate your critique.

And seriously? Leave her daughter out of it. It's not your place to tell her your opinion on her mother. (you know...the lady you wanted to move to IL to be with you...)

Why does it matter to you? Why are you crafting mental defenses and going to the internet to justify unwanted contact? Just block her phone number/email/facebook...done, and it doesn't cost you a dime. Any other course of action might cost you real money and a criminal record, why risk it?
When you get to the point in a relationship where the other person has hired an attorney, it is very very over.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
umm, that her mother is a drunk driver, etc. things that her daughter should know, things that i do not want on my conscious anymore. so maybe it was more than a fling, seeing that the woman was going to quit her job & move out here, but thats no longer the point. She keeps messing with me going back & forth and back & forth, aka when there's no boyfriend around guess who she contacts... = me. anyways, i don't understand how i can get a restraining order just like that when she just contacted me last week, but then again i'm sure the courts always take the woman's side and probably issue these like free candy at a parade. what really boggles my mind is the jurisdiction issue? what are they going to extradite me to CA and send me to LA county prison?
Your problem would come if you ever ran into a cop in CA... Seriously - leave them alone. How old is the kid?

Last edited by a moderator:

lewisweed

Omg, she really dodged a bullet with you, didn't she? I honestly think you should fight it. Go to court and say all the stuff you spouted here. I'm sure the court will appreciate your critique.

And seriously? Leave her daughter out of it. It's not your place to tell her your opinion on her mother. (you know...the lady you wanted to move to IL to be with you...)
i can sense your sarcasm. thank you for being helpful. :rolleyes:

LdiJ

the "kid" is 20, an adult, that's what ticks me off. she's a grown woman.;)
That doesn't make it in any way appropriate for you to be contacting the 20 year old to express your opinion of her mother.

In fact, I think its a little creepy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">