• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting divorce settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kathie

What is the name of your state? I live in Georgia now, but my divorce was in Missouri. I used Legal Zoom and filed my uncontested divorce, but my ex-husband still owes me money from the settlement. He did not have the money at the time, but agreed to pay me when he could, even if it was monthly installments. He has received a large amount from a law suit that he did not disclose in the divorce. When he got the money, he sent me $10,000.00, but still owes me another $20,000.00. It has been a year since that payment and I need advice on how to collect. He will not communicate with me at all. What will it take to get my money?

He spent $90,000.00 on an airplane, but has it registered in a trust, and he tries to hide everything, but I have his address and can get other information as needed. Could I actually get more since he didn't disclose information?

Please help....

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Kathie said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Georgia now, but my divorce was in Missouri. I used Legal Zoom and filed my uncontested divorce, but my ex-husband still owes me money from the settlement. He did not have the money at the time, but agreed to pay me when he could, even if it was monthly installments. He has received a large amount from a law suit that he did not disclose in the divorce. When he got the money, he sent me $10,000.00, but still owes me another $20,000.00. It has been a year since that payment and I need advice on how to collect. He will not communicate with me at all. What will it take to get my money?

He spent $90,000.00 on an airplane, but has it registered in a trust, and he tries to hide everything, but I have his address and can get other information as needed. Could I actually get more since he didn't disclose information?

Please help....
You need to hire a lawyer in the state where your husband lives to collect this judgment. If he lives in Missouri, it will be easier for the lawyer to do since the lawyer can ask for your ex-spouse to be held in contempt (if the judgment in your lawsuit was written correctly).

Kathie

Thank you!

Thank you seniorjudge, I thought that was my only option, but I needed confirmation. I hope I can find a good one. Will I have to return to Missouri for any part of it, or can an attorney most likely do it for me?

Kathie

seniorjudge

Kathie said:
Thank you seniorjudge, I thought that was my only option, but I needed confirmation. I hope I can find a good one. Will I have to return to Missouri for any part of it, or can an attorney most likely do it for me?

Kathie
http://www.mobar.org/directory/referral.htm

If you don't have a lawyer, contact MOBAR and they may be able to point you in the right direction.

At some point, you may have to go to Missouri to testify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">