• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

common law marriage recognition in another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stats1

:)Can you claim a common law marriage in one state while living in another state? I live in California which doesn't recognize common law marriage, and would like my "common law" marriage to be recognized. Although we never had a ceremony, I have been calling my partner "husband" for years and he calls me wife. Other states, like Montana recognize this as marriage. Since we have visited other states while we considered ourselves married, can we claim to have been married by common law in another state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please Google confidential California marriage for information on an "easy way" to get married in your situation.

tranquility

A couple who is married under common law in a state will have that marriage recognized in CA under comity. However, marriage laws for common law marriage will depend on your state of residence. If you were a resident of CA all that time, you will not have fullfiled the requirements of the statute in Montana.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">