• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce decree vs Settlement decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kevinsmom

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have been divorced for 2 years now and me and my ex husband have been exchanging the children at two different daycares as agreed upon in the settlement decree where it states that all excahnges will be made at the childcare facilities.We recently had a disagreement and he now states that all the exchanges must be made at his residence as per the final dacree. I went to the courthose and picked up the final decree and it states we must exchange the children at a specific daycare and if they are not enrolled there the exchanges will be made at his residence. How did the final decree become so ambiguous when compared to the settlement decree. There are also other things that are changed in his favor and things that are new that are not in the settlement decree.
So my question is, do i have to pick the children up at his house or do i stick to my settement decree and try to force the daycare exchange.
And what can I do to get the final decree changed back to what the settlement decree states:confused:

Sorry for being so long and thanks for your time.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well.... which one has the judge's John Hancock on it? And your ex's, and yours? And which of THOSE is dated most recently? That's the order you need to follow.

JETX

You need to comply with the court ORDER. That is the ONLY legal document that applies.
If the ORDER says to pick them up at his place, do it. If it says the daycare AND if they are still enrolled there, then force him to comply also.

K

Kevinsmom

Why is the settlement decree so different then the final decree. Everyones signatures are on the settlement decree also but there are alot of changes in the final decree that I never agreed to.

How do I get it changed to what I orignally agreed to in the settlement decree.

K

Kevinsmom

It has been in effect since 9/21/01. The judge, my ex`s lawyer and my ex signed it. I had a cheap lawyer so I did not know I had to sign a final decree. I mean the settlement decree states it is a legal and binding contract so why is it so different then the final decree.
It seams like he and is lawyer change things after the settlement decree was signed.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Two years? Your timeframe to appeal it is gone. If it wasn't what you expected - why on earth didn't you do something sooner? The last order signed by the judge is what takes precedence. I doubt that there is ANYTHING you can do now except follow the final order. Or file for a modification, but without good reason to do so - you're wasting money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">