• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Educational neglect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kfortyone

Indiana. I live in Indiana.My son lives with dad in Ohio.The original case is Clermont county,he now lives in hamilton county.What county do I file in? I was informed by sons dad he was home schooled. But now is being educated by his dad with cd,s from store. He,s 10 an not being taught spelling etc.. My son is biracial.His dad is black I am white. They say in todays world it doesn,t matter. But thres still some countys that disagree. I won,t get into that.But I need to file for custody change. So if you could help. I thank you

sroutlaw

First of all, I would recommend that you take some spelling and grammar yourself.
Secondly, what does the custody order say now about your legal relationship to this child? Do you have visitation? Are you joint legal custodian of the child? If you are NOT in joint custody with the dad, you are SOL. The dad will have the right to decide the boy's education.

Just another FYI for ya, home schooling is NOT educational neglect and trying to fight the home school option is a very uphill battle at this point. The research is ALL on dad's side and so is the law...it is legal to homeschool in ALL FIFTY STATES. Further, the "cds bought from a store" are very likely home schooling CDs which are in fact a quite good option. Remember Blair from the Facts of Life? She educates her kids that very way.....

I think it would be really wise to establish more information about what is happening here. I think we aren't seeing the whole picture, because if the boy being home schooled via the computer is your main complaint you are really barking for nothing!

K

kfortyone

I don't think I said anything about home schooling being a bad thing. Its great if you teach a child english.spelling history etc... And by age 10 he should be able to read ,an know basic spelling.As for my visitation with my son. I have very liberal visitation. I didn't go into everything. Like he is not contacted the school in his district since he stopped online schooling. I don't feel like 2 math games for k-2 grade should be an education. But that was not the question I posted was it. So any way I thought this was a legal advice page. But I guess, Its just a chat room for negative people to judge other people. When they don't know anything about the situation. The whole story was not told because thats not what my question was about. But hey have a great day! Thanks for your input

sroutlaw

1) This is not a chat room.
2) This is in fact a legal forum, dealing in the LAW and its application.
3) Disagreement or questioning is not judgment - even in America!
4) There are many facts that YOU do not know about educational neglect and my intent was to show you that in fact home schooling does not fall under educational neglect.
5) If your intent is to get custody of your son you will have to show actual reasoning to why HIS BEST INTEREST is to live with you. That is about fact, not opinion.
6) Very many ten year olds in public, private and home schools cannot read. Please refer yourself to some actual information on the subject - read some Dr. Raymond Moore or some John Taylor Gatto or possibly John Holt.
7) In reading the works of John Holt please refer to the concept of unschooling or child-led learning. This is a very legitimate, and not illegal, type of homeschooling. This is particularly relevant in your son's case if the situation is as you describe it. However, since you are not there every day (and your own education seems to be lacking, judging from your posts), I tend to take your description with a grain of salt much as I would if you had said that in public school your child is fed lunch, watchs some videos and plays on the computer (although in fact there are many schools where parents might feel that is all that happens).
8) Again, I am warning you to reexamine your legal records in re: the custody of the child. Please notice I did not say "how much do you visit with the child?" I asked you for the LEGAL wording of the custody order especially referring to your legal status. This was so I could help you determine whether you even have a legal right to 'dispute' the boy's educational status. This would be best determined with facts about YOUR rights - do you have joint legal custody?
9) When you approach a web site hoping for information or advice, please approach with the intent of staying on issue and providing actual facts instead of worrying about your "feelings." This is not a touchy feely website. For that you should perhaps approach lifetimetv.com or maybe the aclu.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
"Remember Blair from the Facts of Life? She educates her kids that very way....."

I'm not certain this is an ideal to aspire to. :rolleyes:

The fact remains, kforty - you didn't provide a heck of a lot of info from which someone could form any sort of reasonable response. All you said is that he's being homeschooled (which you apparently don't agree with) and he's biracial (I still fail to see the relevance of that). You haven't said if you have joint legal custody (that's the info sroutlaw was looking for, btw). You haven't really indicated anything further that would form a basis for a custody change. So I don't see what you're getting all pissy about. Noone here can read minds, contrary to popular belief.

nextwife

It might be legitimate to check with your state's Department of Instruction to see WHAT, if any, curricular requirements are imposed on home-schoolers. Annual testing, a minimum level of proficiency.etc. Home schooling is fine and dandy IF schooling is really happening. Does your state have any minimal requirements and is the home-schooling parent complying with those state regs? If not, then you might be in a position to try to take some legal action as the OP to require that parent to comply with the state minimums.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">