• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex won't move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amp2874

I recently gave my boyfriend 30 day notice via text, as that's how we communicate bc he yells so much. Since I have him notice and are following through with it, he now is retaliating. He and his daughter moved into my home in 2014. We never made a legal document or made it a tenant landlord situation. He paid rent and that was that. He never paid for home improvements or appliances or upgrades. His daughter has caused damage to the room she lives in. We have divided the 4-5 things that we accumulated together. I asked him to fix his daughters room, pay me for the difference between items that were not fairly divided and leave. He now is using lingo of tenant landlord and that he is going to call the county and report my house as uninhabitable due to 2 out of the 3 windows that didn't open in his daughters room. Now he has lived here for 4 years. Because I want him out he is retaliating. This is not a tenant landlord issue this is a domestic issue as we shared a home. He is threatening me and I don't feel comfortable in my home where my 13 year old is being negatively affected by his aggressive rants and my mom, who always has lived in the home, is being affected. I avoid him at all costs and have minimal dialogue with him. I feel like a prisoner in my own home. What can I do to protect my family and take my home back. Oh he also took 2000 out of joint acct. Claiming he is holding that as security for a fair and equitable move. An acct. That his name was on solely to have in emergency when my daughter, mother, and I travelled to Europe. He does not use that acct to pay bills or receive pay. He transfers his rent monthly and that is it. So now I'm out 2000, live in a stressful home that is mine, and am being threatened bc he doesn't want to fix what he is responsible for and he has to get put. Please help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please understand that any written notice you give has to be, you know, written. A text will not cut it.

I recently gave my boyfriend 30 day notice via text, as that's how we communicate bc he yells so much. Since I have him notice and are following through with it, he now is retaliating. He and his daughter moved into my home in 2014. We never made a legal document or made it a tenant landlord situation. He paid rent and that was that. He never paid for home improvements or appliances or upgrades. His daughter has caused damage to the room she lives in. We have divided the 4-5 things that we accumulated together. I asked him to fix his daughters room, pay me for the difference between items that were not fairly divided and leave. He now is using lingo of tenant landlord and that he is going to call the county and report my house as uninhabitable due to 2 out of the 3 windows that didn't open in his daughters room. Now he has lived here for 4 years. Because I want him out he is retaliating. This is not a tenant landlord issue this is a domestic issue as we shared a home. He is threatening me and I don't feel comfortable in my home where my 13 year old is being negatively affected by his aggressive rants and my mom, who always has lived in the home, is being affected. I avoid him at all costs and have minimal dialogue with him. I feel like a prisoner in my own home. What can I do to protect my family and take my home back. Oh he also took 2000 out of joint acct. Claiming he is holding that as security for a fair and equitable move. An acct. That his name was on solely to have in emergency when my daughter, mother, and I travelled to Europe. He does not use that acct to pay bills or receive pay. He transfers his rent monthly and that is it. So now I'm out 2000, live in a stressful home that is mine, and am being threatened bc he doesn't want to fix what he is responsible for and he has to get put. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:

HRZ

You didn't post State as requested ...it might matter.

IN general your live in lover is your tenant and he has a pile of rights as to tenant status ...specific to your state...you best study up the rules and get eviction process started today ...BTW! If the rules call for written notice ..they mean old fashioned hard copy paper ...text messages are not going to count unless he acknowledges the notice and judge agrees that suffices ...but it's a lousy crap shoot. DO it right .

IF you put him on a joint account ...you may most unwise ...but as posted he did nothing illegal to access it ..BUT holding your money hostage might be illegal IF that story holds up ...which I doubt..plan to .kiss it good bye .

Yes, it may be living torture until over...so get started ASAP.

THe only wiggle room Imsee is if he pays for some things, that you put his payments towards things least likely to be recovered in court . Rent is recoverable...other things not likely so.

LdiJ

Close that bank account first thing in the morning and move all of your money to a new account. You were a fool to ever put his name on your account. Stick to your guns about him moving out. If he does not leave after 30 days file in court for an eviction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">