• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can i escape while retaining my assets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

State: NY
My parents have been emotionally abusing me for about two years now. They don't let me out, track my location, spam me with calls and texts, degrade my accomplishments and social choices when they need something to fixate their anger on, and they consistently display hypocritical behavior which leads to me receiving the blame for everything. To sum it up, they make me feel like a living joke. The degree of it is especially noticeable when I feel significantly happier at university than at home, an opinion that is rarely held by students in their first semester of college. They have watched me suffer and have multiple panic attacks and they only feed the fire. I constantly tell them that, as an adult, I do not want to live under their protection anymore, but they will not comply. They do not believe that I am capable of living on my own. Somehow they are stuck in the mindset that I am still in middle school and that their guidance is essential to my 'bright future'. I genuinely feel locked up whenever I am in their apartment for any step I make could set off a landmine. This morning, they forced me to sit at the dining table to eat and my father proceeded to scream at my mother about their endangered marriage. I am beyond scarred. I do not want to dive deeper, but that is the gist of what has been happening. I cannot run away because I do not want to lose everything, which is why I am turning to legal help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then you are a legal adult and can walk out the door any time you want to.

What "assets" are you worried about retaining? It matters to what you can retain.

HRZ

Define and quantify the assets in question....

You are free to walk out the door...at 18'

NY has a bit of an odd law that requires parents to support you thru age 21...I'm NOT up on details but I doubt it requires them to pay college .

So get a job and pay your own way ...or play by parents rules...??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">