• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Im being charged with contempt of court in family court do I need an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gwoan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
I got served the papers that my ex husband is requesting our parenting plan be modified and I be charged with contempt of court. Do I need an attorney for this since he has one or would I be ok without one?
He is requesting a lot of things; that my daughter be put back in public school and enroll her in a credit recovery course at my expense, I take co parenting and parenting classes, that I stop interfering during visitation(whatever that means), that our kids be put in counseling til they turn 18, and I pay his legal fees, and a bunch of other crap and that if his demands aren't met that he will request that instead of us having joint custody he be given full residential and sole custody
Can he do all this?
Do I need an attorney since he has one? Would the outcome be any different without one?
My father says that I can just ignore this and he wont get anything, is this true? He says that his attorney is just for show and doesn't effect the outcome
How much does an attorney cost to defend this kind of thing in Missouri?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I got served the papers that my ex husband is requesting our parenting plan be modified and I be charged with contempt of court. Do I need an attorney for this since he has one or would I be ok without one?
He is requesting a lot of things; that my daughter be put back in public school and enroll her in a credit recovery course at my expense, I take co parenting and parenting classes, that I stop interfering during visitation(whatever that means), that our kids be put in counseling til they turn 18, and I pay his legal fees, and a bunch of other crap and that if his demands aren't met that he will request that instead of us having joint custody he be given full residential and sole custody
Can he do all this?
Do I need an attorney since he has one? Would the outcome be any different without one?
My father says that I can just ignore this and he wont get anything, is this true? He says that his attorney is just for show and doesn't effect the outcome
YOUR daughter or his daughter? Did he agree to your mutual daughter being removed from public school? Have you made sure the children attended EVERY court ordered companionship time with their father? He can request all that. You should get an attorney. Your father is setting you up for failure. How true are the allegations against you?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Depending on the circumstances, of course he can get some, all, or none of what he's asking. The devil is in the details, none of which you provided. But I suspect that you would be well served by having an attorney.

I'm curious - what experience does your father have to give credence to his advice?

Ithat I stop interfering during visitation(whatever that means
This is actually a VERY serious charge. Do you two have joint legal custody? If you are primary when it comes to decisions of schooling and medical choices, the others are less(thought still important)serious accusations.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This is actually a VERY serious charge. Do you two have joint legal custody? If you are primary when it comes to decisions of schooling and medical choices, the others are less(thought still important)serious accusations.
Actually - they are ALL quite serious issues. :rolleyes:

LdiJ

Can he do all this?
You definitely need an attorney. His allegations are too serious to attempt to handle this without one.

Ladyback1

Don't listen to your father....you ignore this and your Ex may get EVERYTHING he's asking for (more likely than not if you ignore this)

And no, an attorney is not necessarily for show. And attorney can and often does have significant sway on an outcome.

Why is your Ex accusing you of all this? And seriously, don't say "I don't know". You have to have some idea of why he's upset enough to take action!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">