• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyers fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seanscott

What is the name of your state? IN

My
father was killed 25 years ago. The lawyer that handled my father's estate took a percentage of the life insurance that my Father had. I have since heard that they are not allowed to do that. Is this true? If so, is there a statute of limitations on such?
Is there any thing that we can do about it now?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Seanscott said:
What is the name of your state? IN

My
father was killed 25 years ago. The lawyer that handled my father's estate took a percentage of the life insurance that my Father had. I have since heard that they are not allowed to do that. Is this true? If so, is there a statute of limitations on such?
Is there any thing that we can do about it now?

My response:

Assuming your facts are true and correct, you can believe that any applicable Statute of Limitations has expired long ago, thus barring your family members from taking any action.

IAAL

Seanscott

Is it true though? I had assumed that there probably wasn't anything that could be done, I don't even know if the Attorny is still alive, but I was just wondering if what I heard was true, even 25 years ago.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Seanscott said:
Is it true though? I had assumed that there probably wasn't anything that could be done, I don't even know if the Attorny is still alive, but I was just wondering if what I heard was true, even 25 years ago.

My response:

The lawyer, obviously, had to be paid. Money is fungible. So, what does it matter where the money to pay him came from?

It's a moot point.

IAAL

Seanscott

Apparently you are not getting the question or you just don't know, I am asking if lawyers are allowed to take a percentage of life insurance policies or not? And beleive me he was paid. I really did not care that much I just was curious if this was a fairly new law or if it had been around for a while. I was fifteen when my father was killed in a freak accident at his place of employment, I did not know anything about the estate and the legalities that surrounded it. I am just curious and trying to figure a few things out. I am not trying to go back in time and exact revenge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">