• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MD Law questioning concerning Minors and Adults

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Xyquine

Hi, I currently live in the Great state of Maryland (sarcasim). I am currently involved in a non sexual relationship with a 16 year old girl who will turn 17 as of February. I myself am 21 and will be turning 22 in september. Currently the parents of my girlfriend do not want relations between us nor do they seem it fit / moral. I love this girl with everything I have and would go through anything to have her in my life forever. There is no doubt in my mind in saying this. My question is, since her parents do not condone the relation ship or condone the two of us seeing each other is there anything they can do legally to prevent us from dating or prevent us from having sexual relations. If we were too have sex, what are the reprocussions of our actions if she is consensual (besides pregnancy, or the transfer of STD's). I have read that in maryland the age of consent to sexual intercourse is 16+ But I was curious if the 4 year law applied in our situation since I currently am 21. If no is there another form of law or something that can be applied to our situation that can cause legal reprocussions for me?

Again as I have said, I love this girl and I want more for her in life than her parents do and i treat her better than anyone else shes knows. The feelings are mutual between us in this regard and she has stated multiple times she is willing too marry me the day she turns 18. Please if anyone with a legal background and understanding of laws in maryland please get back with me on this situation you would be helping two people who love each other dearly and just want to be left alone so we can finally be happy.

Thank you

Last edited:

LdiJ

Hi, I currently live in the Great state of Maryland (sarcasim). I am currently involved in a non sexual relationship with a 16 year old girl who will turn 17 as of February. I myself am 21 and will be turning 22 in september. Currently the parents of my girlfriend do not want relations between us nor do they seem it fit / moral. I love this girl with everything I have and would go through anything to have her in my life forever. There is no doubt in my mind in saying this. My question is, since her parents do not condone the relation ship or condone the two of us seeing each other is there anything they can do legally to prevent us from dating or prevent us from having sexual relations. If we were too have sex, what are the reprocussions of our actions if she is consensual (besides pregnancy, or the transfer of STD's). I have read that in maryland the age of consent to sexual intercourse is 16+ But I was curious if the 4 year law applied in our situation since I currently am 21. If no is there another form of law or something that can be applied to our situation that can cause legal reprocussions for me?

Again as I have said, I love this girl and I want more for her in life than her parents do and i treat her better than anyone else shes knows. The feelings are mutual between us in this regard and she has stated multiple times she is willing too marry me the day she turns 18. Please if anyone with a legal background and understanding of laws in maryland please get back with me on this situation you would be helping two people who love each other dearly and just want to be left alone so we can finally be happy.

Thank you
If you continue to see this minor child, against the will of her parents, you can find yourself in prison for several years.

If its true love, the two of you can leave each other alone until she is a legal adult, and then be able to be together.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are more laws at stake here than just the age of sexual consent.

Until she has reached the age of majority, which is 18 or older in all 50 states, her parents have 100% control over who she sees. This includes not just being in visual contact, but also phone calls, text messages, e-mails, IM's, telegrams singing and otherwise, satellite transmissions, faxes, messages transmitted through friends, smoke signals, and every other form of communication you can imagine.

If mom and dad say no, it's no. There is nothing whatsoever in the law that is going to force the parents of a minor child to allow her to see someone they do not want her to see. The law is 100% in mom and dad's favor here and not at all on yours.

If you continue to make contact with her (and this includes responding if she contacts you) mom and dad can get a restraining order. If you violate the restraining order (again, this includes responding if she contact you) you can end up in jail.

This is true in all 50 states.

So if you were hoping for a law you could wave under her parents' collective noses that says, here, this says you have to let her be with me, you're plumb out of luck.

If it's real love, it will still be there when she is of age.

if what cbg says is true,,,then WHY dont the parents of a minor female press charges and seek prison for the minor male that got the female minor pregnant? male minor dads to be seem to get away with rape.

Isis1

Thank you
step away from the little girl.

if mom and dad don't want you looking at their daughter, they can get a restraining order. and like already stated, ANY contact will be prohibited.

don't make home life more difficult for her. walk away. the split second she turns 18, you can go pick her up.

Antigone*

step away from the little girl.

if mom and dad don't want you looking at their daughter, they can get a restraining order. and like already stated, ANY contact will be prohibited.

don't make home life more difficult for her. walk away. the split second she turns 18, you can go pick her up.
Oh come on guys...they luuuuuuuvvvvvvvvvvvv each other:rolleyes:

Rushia

Unless that boy's name is Edward Cullen and bulletproof, he'll run at the *click click" of a shotgun. lets see how fast he falls out of love THEN!
Ugh, I love that book. But it does infuriate me concerning Bella's attitude when dealing with her father. Meyer makes him out to be a complete idiot about what his dd does in his home. No wonder teenagers went nuts about it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
if what cbg says is true,,,then WHY dont the parents of a minor female press charges and seek prison for the minor male that got the female minor pregnant? male minor dads to be seem to get away with rape.
Are you sure you're in the right thread? And if you're talking generally, quite often they do.

Are you suggesting that there is a law out there somewhere that says a parent DOES have to allow their minor daughter to see an adult male (or even a minor male) that they do not want her to see? That an adult male can interact with a minor against the wishes of the parents with impunity? If so, please do post a link to that law so we can all see it.

Are you sure you're in the right thread? And if you're talking generally, quite often they do.

Are you suggesting that there is a law out there somewhere that says a parent DOES have to allow their minor daughter to see an adult male (or even a minor male) that they do not want her to see? That an adult male can interact with a minor against the wishes of the parents with impunity? If so, please do post a link to that law so we can all see it.
im talking minor and minor,,,,,in general if one get the other pregnant,,,,i never hear the minor female's parents going after the minor male who impregnated their minor daughter to send him to prison

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since first of all, this thread is not about a minor and a minor but a minor and an adult, and since secondly I doubt that you have heard about every case on record, "what you have heard of" is meaningless in the context of this thread.

I can assure you that there have been plenty of minor males who have been charged for illegal sexual conduct with minor females. Just because you claim not to have heard of them doesn't mean they've never happened.

Isis1

Ugh, I love that book. But it does infuriate me concerning Bella's attitude when dealing with her father. Meyer makes him out to be a complete idiot about what his dd does in his home. No wonder teenagers went nuts about it.
i love all four! :p

he was pretty blase....it gets worse at the last one. "need to know". only seeing his daughter where daughter lived for 2 weeks out of the year because she didn't want to visit him there in WA!

i think i ruined the movie for husband. i kept shouting the whole stupid legalities of it all. i ruin alot of movies that way. :(

Rushia

i love all four! :p

he was pretty blase....it gets worse at the last one. "need to know". only seeing his daughter where daughter lived for 2 weeks out of the year because she didn't want to visit him there in WA!

i think i ruined the movie for husband. i kept shouting the whole stupid legalities of it all. i ruin alot of movies that way. :(
I read them all too. While I loved them, all I could think the whole time was "Well this is where teenagers will get their stupid ideas from". Real live and love doesn't happen like that. I CANNOT wait until New Moon. Have you seen the werewolf pack!? OMG, I am drooling sooooooo bad. Those boys are HOT! I hope that I'm not drooling over any youngsters! :eek:

Antigone*

I read them all too. While I loved them, all I could think the whole time was "Well this is where teenagers will get their stupid ideas from". Real live and love doesn't happen like that. I CANNOT wait until New Moon. Have you seen the werewolf pack!? OMG, I am drooling sooooooo bad. Those boys are HOT! I hope that I'm not drooling over any youngsters! :eek:
Now, now ladies are we acting like cougars:rolleyes:. You should have seen the waiter at Corner Bakery, today!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">