• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help on cohabitation law(not married just living as partners) in Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I read about this. I guess ‘ common law’ is applicable to people who have cohabited for more than 10 years or so. I guess, not sure If i am right. But anyways its not applicable in georgia. Thanks
As I said above, Georgia doesn't "do" common-law marriages. They will recognize common-law marriages that were formed in other states, but there is no such thing as a common-law marriage formed in Georgia.

HRZ

Thanks. Ao friendly tenant is not referred to a person you are in live- in relationahip right?
NO such limit is expressed or required .

I don't know what passes for what in GA ..but you can get on very slippery slope as to enforceability
of a contract over something that is improper by local or state law. .

But a LT written lease stands as written especially if it looks like, smells like, and parties perform just like it says...and pay as required etc THere are other ways to do it , none perfect , ....but I agree its smarter to discuss things with counsel ahead of time .

I don't keep a statistical count ..but my guess is a good percent of live together deals break apart.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">