• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prenuptial Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

va108

What is the name of your state?

Virginia

Five years ago I joined my current company.

14 months ago I got married. In our prenup, all assets and liabilities that existed prior to the marriage remained the responsibility of the original individual.

11 months ago I was promoted. As part of the promotion I received shares in the company.

Now, my company is being sold and I am receiving a cash disbursement for my shares.

Is this considered marital property due to the fact I received the shares after I was married, or pre-marital property because it resulted from my good performance with the company prior to being married?

gowest

Interesting question. I assume that you and your spouse have differing opinions?

You said you worked for the company 5 years and were married 14 months ago. You received the promotion and stock 3 months after being married (which means you worked there approximately 46 months prior to the marriage)... perhaps the "common-sense solution" is agreeing that 6.5% of the stock should be part of the marital assets.

Of course, when it comes to disagreeing over money, "common-sense" doesn't often enter into the equation. Not being an attorney, I can't say what the legal answer is. (I hope IAAL will add that part.)

HomeGuru

My take is that the shares of stock should be considered marital property because the shares were not an asset in existence prior to the marriage.

LegalBeagle

I agree with HG..

However, the fact you are asking this question probably means you need to consult with a Family Law Attorney for the impending divorce..

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Division of Marital Property in Virginia

The goal of Virginia's system of property division, known as “equitable distribution”, is to fairly divide the couple's marital assets with respect for both their monetary and nonmonetary contributions to the property and to the marriage. All the property issues described below can either be decided by the judge in a court hearing, or, if the spouses agree on them, they can be dealt with in a Separation Agreement drafted by the parties' lawyers.

Spouses who hide, transfer or destroy property to keep the other spouse from getting it in the divorce can be punished for this “dissipation” or “waste”.

Specific procedural requirements for this division have been set by the law:

• The court determines who holds the legal titles and ownership of the property, and sets its value.

• The court classifies all property as marital or separate, or partially each. (Any property that is marital or part-marital property can be distributed through equitable distribution.)

• Taking into account the rights, interests and equities of the parties, the court decides who gets what, and can also order either party to pay a monetary award to the other party.

Any monetary award is based on the value of the property in question. When the court is determining the value of property, the two parties must provide evidence for their claims regarding the value of the property. This evidence is presented to a judge during an equitable distribution hearing.

How Property is Classified: Separate and Marital

The court determines the ownership of all “real and personal property”. This term includes a wide variety of assets, including jewelry, the marital residence, other real estate, bank or credit union accounts, furniture, paintings or other art work, automobiles, business interests, and other types of property managed by both or either spouse during the marriage. Most future income and future assets, except for pensions, are not included in equitable distribution of property.

Virginia considers marital property to be of three basic forms:

• Property acquired by either party during the marriage that is not separate property

• Property that is part marital and part separate.

• Property whose title is held by both parties (however, this still may be proven to be separate or partly separate if it can be traced accurately and fairly to separate property).

Separate property includes:

1. All real and personal property acquired by either party before the marriage

2. All property acquired during the marriage by inheritance or gift from a source other than the other party

3. All property acquired during the marriage in exchange for or from the proceeds of the sale of separate property, provided it is maintained separately

Any income generated from separate property by the active efforts of either party is classified as marital.

Separate property can also become marital property in several ways, including the failure to maintain the property as separate, or commingling with marital property, in a way that is too complex or undocumented to trace back to its source. Assumed in these general rules is that any property gained by either party during the marriage was gained with the knowledge that it would become marital property.

Marital property, however, cannot become the separate property of either party without valid and specific agreements by the parties.

Pensions

Pensions are marital property to the extent that they were earned during the marriage, before separation. The marital share is a percentage, based on a ratio of months of marriage in which they were earned compared to all months of unmarried or separated pension-earning. Courts usually divide the marital share in half. In some cases involving military or foreign service families, special federal laws apply about when courts can divide pensions, and how much each spouse can get. In contrast, when parties settle their cases out of court, they often provide that each will keep their own pension.

Marital Debts

Also divided during the property settlements of a dissolving marriage are the debts the couple, or the separate spouses, have incurred.

Factors included in the court's division of marital debts include:

• The debts and liabilities of each spouse

• The basis for the debts and liabilities of each spouse

• The property used as security for the debts and liabilities of each spouse

The court can apportion and order payment of the parties' debts (either joint or separate) incurred before the dissolution of the marriage using the above factors. However, both spouses remain vulnerable to creditors for all debts incurred during the marriage, unless the creditor is willing to let one spouse refinance after the divorce.

Tax Issues

In Property Division: Virginia statute specifically includes as a factor considered by the court in making its award or in dividing or transferring jointly owned marital property the “tax consequences to each party.” In order for the court to consider the possible effects of tax consequences, the contesting party must offer evidence of the expected tax consequences. These consequences cannot be merely speculative.

Capital Gains Tax: Transfers of property between spouses incident to divorce incur no recognition of gain or loss. The basis of the transferor carries over to the transferee, delaying any immediate tax consequence resulting from an equitable distribution award. This is something to consider when negotiating a division of property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">