• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dnr

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joewisme

My father passed earlier this year while recovering from an open heart surgery(lung infection). He had a DNR order, yet they tried resuscitatin him anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'd give anything to spend more time with him but their care was already questionable prior and even lost my last chance to speak to him.
Is there anything that can be done as far as the dnr goes?

Just Blue

My father passed earlier this year while recovering from an open heart surgery(lung infection). He had a DNR order, yet they tried resuscitatin him anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'd give anything to spend more time with him but their care was already questionable prior and even lost my last chance to speak to him.
I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad....

But what is it you want "done"?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You did not indicate in what state this took place, and that matters as state law governs this and not all states may have the same law on it. It also matters exactly what the DNR said, whether the staff working on him knew of the DNR, and exactly what they did and what the outcome was. However, if they unsuccessfully tried to resuscitate him then there is likely no viable lawsuit because your father did not experience the problem that DNRs are meant to avoid: being resuscitated but suffering some kind of diminished state afterwards. Certainly you may complain to the head of the hospital and medical practice that provided the care and to the state board that supervises the practice of medicine in the state; perhaps if nothing else those complaints will serve to remind the medical staff to heed DNRs.

Joewisme

The part about the last time to talk to him was mentioned to point out my entire frustration with how the staff acted. It happened in Missouri, and what is want done is to be sure that their entire staff is educated on what needs to be payed attention to. Their care period (from what I've seen and what he said before he passed) was just such low quality that I feel they need a complete overhaul of how people are treated. The entire day before he passed, no on I spoke to on that floor had even talked to or tended to him from what each one said. I spoke the administrator and they said they would look into it and never contacted me back about any issue I said to them. They've refused to return any of my other calls too.

quincy

I am sorry for your loss.

Are you sure your father suffered cardiac or respiratory arrest? Were you with your father when the hospital tried to resuscitate him?

DNR orders prohibit a hospital from restarting the breathing or heart functioning of a patient but do not prohibit the hospital from other medical treatments and interventions.

Dema

I send my sympathies on the passing of your Father. Please don't allow the coldness of some on this forum get you down.

quincy

I send my sympathies on the passing of your Father. Please don't allow the coldness of some on this forum get you down.
This is a legal forum. The law is not warm and fuzzy. That said, no one was "cold."

This thread is a month old, by the way. I hope you are not planning to revive any other older threads. Reviving older threads is frowned upon on this forum.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">