• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doctor refusing to help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cbennett08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I have seen several doctors for possible Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. All 5 doctors have stated its most likely TOS and I would need to be treated for it. Recently a neighbor had a flyer that showed a local doctor treated TOS.

After reading the website to this well known doctors office, the site clearly states over and over they treat it. The only time they would not treat it is when surgery is needed. They would refer you out.

I saw the doctor and brought my history about TOS to him. He tested me and said it was most likely a herniated disc in my neck. I mentioned that the pain was there long before the symptoms from the neck disc. He insisted I get an epidural.

Saw another doctor who did the procedure and it didn't help my TOS. She said it was a shoulder issue and sent me to their shoulder doctor. He in turn said its not the shoulder but is TOS and I would need to go out to the referred doctors. I said that the their website and articles all state that the original doctor treats TOS. He insisted that it wasn't true until I showed him the information.

Ended up speaking with the head doctor there and he didn't know about the articles.

After months of dealing with all these doctors, he said they would need to refer me out. BUT.....

The website states they only refer out for surgery cases and the first approach is PT. They never offered PT and he keeps saying they don't treat TOS.

I checked the website again and it clearly states the original doctor treats TOS.

Treatment is essential for TOS, to prevent permanent nerve damage, and follows a conservative treatment path first. Physical Therapy is the first thing I recommend, because learning and practicing correct posture daily, along with therapeutic stretching, can help to open the thoracic outlet and take pressure off of the compromised brachial plexus. Pain, inflammation and muscle tension is controlled by non-narcotic pain medication, NSAIDs or steroid medications and muscle relaxants.

If symptoms do not resolve, surgery rarely may be necessary, and is usually only done for vascular issues or if there is an extra rib causing the compression. We do not perform surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome here at OSC, but would refer you to MCV or UVA for surgical treatment. A Neurosurgeon or vascular/thoracic surgeon would address issues, such as the removal of an extra rib, removal of tumors or the surgical release of areas which may be compressing nerves or blood vessels.
What options do I have at this point to get help?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I have seen several doctors for possible Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. All 5 doctors have stated its most likely TOS and I would need to be treated for it. Recently a neighbor had a flyer that showed a local doctor treated TOS.

After reading the website to this well known doctors office, the site clearly states over and over they treat it. The only time they would not treat it is when surgery is needed. They would refer you out.

I saw the doctor and brought my history about TOS to him. He tested me and said it was most likely a herniated disc in my neck. I mentioned that the pain was there long before the symptoms from the neck disc. He insisted I get an epidural.

Saw another doctor who did the procedure and it didn't help my TOS. She said it was a shoulder issue and sent me to their shoulder doctor. He in turn said its not the shoulder but is TOS and I would need to go out to the referred doctors. I said that the their website and articles all state that the original doctor treats TOS. He insisted that it wasn't true until I showed him the information.

Ended up speaking with the head doctor there and he didn't know about the articles.

After months of dealing with all these doctors, he said they would need to refer me out. BUT.....

The website states they only refer out for surgery cases and the first approach is PT. They never offered PT and he keeps saying they don't treat TOS.

I checked the website again and it clearly states the original doctor treats TOS.

What options do I have at this point to get help?

There is nothing in there guaranteeing a certain form of treatment.

ecmst12

You've seen 5 doctors who diagnosed this condition or at least evaluated your symptoms and NO ONE prescribed physical therapy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">