• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

File broke during root canal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RDDDD

Recently I have been getting dental work done through Medicaid at a local dentist. My dentist was doing my second root canal and I was informed that a file broke near the root of my tooth. She showed me the x-ray and the file was really small and near the root of my tooth. Since I have Medicaid she refered me to a endodontist who accepts Medicaid. We went and got x-ray done but they said we had to wait for approval. Well we called in and found it out it had been denied and they couldn’t remove the file and finish the root canal. Out of pocket cost is around $1,000 and we can’t afford that. Is it possible for my general dentist to just bypass it and finish the root canal.

quincy

Recently I have been getting dental work done through Medicaid at a local dentist. My dentist was doing my second root canal and I was informed that a file broke near the root of my tooth. She showed me the x-ray and the file was really small and near the root of my tooth. Since I have Medicaid she refered me to a endodontist who accepts Medicaid. We went and got x-ray done but they said we had to wait for approval. Well we called in and found it out it had been denied and they couldn’t remove the file and finish the root canal. Out of pocket cost is around $1,000 and we can’t afford that. Is it possible for my general dentist to just bypass it and finish the root canal.
What is the name of your state, RDDDD?

What has your dentist said about bypassing the file?

RDDDD

What is the name of your state, RDDDD?

What has your dentist said about bypassing the file?
She didn’t say anything about it she just refered us to the other office. She did say that it was no big problem but she just wants to make sure my tooth has every chance to “survive” I guess

quincy

Thank you for providing your state name.

Your dentist should (depending on all facts) be held responsible for the costs of removing the broken file.

RDDDD

Thank you for providing your state name.

Your dentist should (depending on all facts) be held responsible for the costs of removing the broken file.

Why though? Isn’t it a risk of getting a root canal done?

RDDDD

I don’t remember honestly, but I’ve been reading online and apparently it is something that happens often. Hopefully we don’t have to pay for it because it’s not cheap.

quincy

I don’t remember honestly, but I’ve been reading online and apparently it is something that happens often. Hopefully we don’t have to pay for it because it’s not cheap.
I suggest you reread the consent form you signed that details the risks.

I do not see anywhere that root canal files breaking off during the procedure, requiring surgical removal, is a known risk to those having root canals. Because I suspect leaving the file in place could cause an infection, you should discuss its removal (and the cost of removal) with your dentist.

RDDDD

I see no rationale, either.

I suspect there is more to this story.
They said because the tooth was already worked on by my dentist through Medicaid they wouldn’t pay for it again, and the don’t cover such incidents just basic dental care

We asked them to send it to Medicaid again so hopefully it won’t be denied again or we have no other choice

quincy

They said because the tooth was already worked on by my dentist through Medicaid they wouldn’t pay for it again, and the don’t cover such incidents just basic dental care

We asked them to send it to Medicaid again so hopefully it won’t be denied again or we have no other choice
If Medicaid does not cover it, your dentist should.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">