+ Reply to Thread

File broke during root canal

Recently I have been getting dental work done through Medicaid at a local dentist. My dentist was doing my second root canal and I was informed that a file broke near the root of my tooth. She showed me the x-ray and the file was really small and near the root of my tooth. Since I have Medicaid she refered me to a endodontist who accepts Medicaid. We went and got x-ray done but they said we had to wait for approval. Well we called in and found it out it had been denied and they couldnít remove the file and finish the root canal. Out of pocket cost is around $1,000 and we canít afford that. Is it possible for my general dentist to just bypass it and finish the root canal.

Quote Originally Posted by RDDDD View Post
    Recently I have been getting dental work done through Medicaid at a local dentist. My dentist was doing my second root canal and I was informed that a file broke near the root of my tooth. She showed me the x-ray and the file was really small and near the root of my tooth. Since I have Medicaid she refered me to a endodontist who accepts Medicaid. We went and got x-ray done but they said we had to wait for approval. Well we called in and found it out it had been denied and they couldn’t remove the file and finish the root canal. Out of pocket cost is around $1,000 and we can’t afford that. Is it possible for my general dentist to just bypass it and finish the root canal.
    What is the name of your state, RDDDD?

What has your dentist said about bypassing the file?

I live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    What is the name of your state, RDDDD?

What has your dentist said about bypassing the file?
    She didnít say anything about it she just refered us to the other office. She did say that it was no big problem but she just wants to make sure my tooth has every chance to ďsurviveĒ I guess

Thank you for providing your state name.

Your dentist should (depending on all facts) be held responsible for the costs of removing the broken file.

Thank you for providing your state name.

Your dentist should (depending on all facts) be held responsible for the costs of removing the broken file.

Why though? Isnít it a risk of getting a root canal done?

Why though? Isnít it a risk of getting a root canal done?
    Having tools break off in your mouth during procedures? Was this listed as a risk on the consent form you signed?

I donít remember honestly, but Iíve been reading online and apparently it is something that happens often. Hopefully we donít have to pay for it because itís not cheap.

I donít remember honestly, but Iíve been reading online and apparently it is something that happens often. Hopefully we donít have to pay for it because itís not cheap.
    I suggest you reread the consent form you signed that details the risks.

I do not see anywhere that root canal files breaking off during the procedure, requiring surgical removal, is a known risk to those having root canals. Because I suspect leaving the file in place could cause an infection, you should discuss its removal (and the cost of removal) with your dentist.

I don't understand what Medicaid's rationale for denying the endodontist could possibly be.

Quote Originally Posted by ecmst12 View Post
    I don't understand what Medicaid's rationale for denying the endodontist could possibly be.
    I see no rationale, either.

I suspect there is more to this story.

I see no rationale, either.

I suspect there is more to this story.
    They said because the tooth was already worked on by my dentist through Medicaid they wouldnít pay for it again, and the donít cover such incidents just basic dental care

We asked them to send it to Medicaid again so hopefully it wonít be denied again or we have no other choice

They said because the tooth was already worked on by my dentist through Medicaid they wouldnít pay for it again, and the donít cover such incidents just basic dental care

We asked them to send it to Medicaid again so hopefully it wonít be denied again or we have no other choice
    If Medicaid does not cover it, your dentist should.

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread