• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospital refuses to record injury my Mom sustained while a patient

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

HIPPA compliance does not explain away facial injuries.

You don't need to be a healthcare compliance officer to know when people are circling the wagons and looking to CYA.
It sure seems that way, doesn't it?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
HIPPA compliance does not explain away facial injuries.
No one said it did. But I don’t see the relevance of your comment. So far the OP has not said that the hospital denies the injuries that were visibly apparent. All the OP has said is that the OP thinks the hospital has refused to record the fall that allegedly caused those injuries. The problem is that the OP does not know that the hospital has refused to do that since the OP has not yet seen the records and it appears that the hospital may be prohibited by HIPAA (not HIPPA) from disclosing that information.

xylene

No one said it did. But I don’t see the relevance of your comment. So far the OP has not said that the hospital denies the injuries that were visibly apparent. All the OP has said is that the OP thinks the hospital has refused to record the fall that allegedly caused those injuries. The problem is that the OP does not know that the hospital has refused to do that since the OP has not yet seen the records and it appears that the hospital may be prohibited by HIPAA (not HIPPA) from disclosing that information.
Maybe you don't see the relevance because you're an authoritarian authority lover?

SC68 said:
My siblings and I scheduled and had a meeting with hospital doctors, nurses and floor manager and they still haven't recorded in my Mom's hospital records that she fell from her bed while in the hospital and sustained a black eye, they have verbally admitted that the fall happened at the hospital, but they will not put it in writing.
I have no reason to not believe the OP's own experience of what the hospital staff stated to her and their family.

So they did record it accurately and lied about doing so out of some compliance concern. Very odd. And that's what you're arguing.

xylene

And yes, I made a mistake.

I'm still right that hospitals and the people who work in them are pretty much garbage.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
xylene -
Would you agree that what the OP has told us is her interpretation of what the family was told, and that interpretation was clouded by emotion which could cause her to misunderstand what she was told?

Upon a re-read of the OP, I would agree that a sit-down with an attorney may be the appropriate step.

quincy

I'm still right that hospitals and the people who work in them are pretty much garbage.
No. Not right.

It is unfortunate but hospitals, and all in the health care field, have been forced by our litigious society into protecting themselves from malpractice claims. Malpractice insurance costs have led some to abandon medical careers entirely - or at least change to specialties that are less likely to lead them to a courtroom over an innocuous error.

I blame not the doctors, nurses or hospitals but people who see dollar signs in, and seek out lawyers for, every stubbed toe or benign bruise.

And, yes. I realize I have advised an attorney review here. :)

Last edited:

CdwJava

Uh ... no! I know a good number of wonderful and dedicated professionals that work at hospitals, and many who work at a major teaching hospital and level I Trauma Center who are dedicated to the treatment of their patients! To call these people "garbage" is reprehensible. :mad:

xylene

xylene -
Would you agree that what the OP has told us is her interpretation of what the family was told, and that interpretation was clouded by emotion which could cause her to misunderstand what she was told?
That's how human experience works, so to that degree I will agree with you.

But what I'll say is that from experience and observation, family members are paying attention to their ill loved ones very closely, much closer than a nurse or doctor in a busy hospital even possibly could.

I don't think the op is so overcome by emotion at their family member's illness that the obvious lies of it being somehow unknown who was on shift when the injury* occurred.

*I'm extremely suspicious of facial trauma in an elder care situation - with good reason, not even counting all the other indicators.

xylene

Uh ... no! I know a good number of wonderful and dedicated professionals that work at hospitals, and many who work at a major teaching hospital and level I Trauma Center who are dedicated to the treatment of their patients! To call these people "garbage" is reprehensible. :mad:
One bad apple ruins the bunch.

adjusterjack

One bad apple ruins the bunch.
Now there's at least two. My father died of hospital malpractice. The staff tried to cover up the mistake by hiding records. Fortunately, my mother had a good lawyer.

Wouldn't surprise me that this hospital is trying to cover up something.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

And that strong opinion colors your view of the matter, giving you a bias that makes it difficult to be objective. The OP has concerns that certainly are legitimate and need to be addressed, but the OP is also assuming things for which he/she does not have a good basis. And doing that can lead him/her astray. Don’t assume things. Find out what the actual facts are and proceed from there.

Maybe you don't see the relevance because you're an authoritarian authority lover?
Hardly. But your attack on me when I did not attack you is duly noted.

quincy

That's how human experience works, so to that degree I will agree with you.

But what I'll say is that from experience and observation, family members are paying attention to their ill loved ones very closely, much closer than a nurse or doctor in a busy hospital even possibly could.

I don't think the op is so overcome by emotion at their family member's illness that the obvious lies of it being somehow unknown who was on shift when the injury* occurred.

*I'm extremely suspicious of facial trauma in an elder care situation - with good reason, not even counting all the other indicators.
What I have bolded above can be key to good hospital care.

When the hospital staff is aware that family members are watching, they are apt to pay greater attention to the hospitalized patient.

Unfortunately, not all patients have family close by who can (or will) check on them. And even the most involved family and attentive staff cannot prevent all falls - especially those that occur when the patient gets impatient or restless and gets out of bed without assistance.

Not all patient falls and injuries in a hospital can be traced to substandard care of a patient. Not all patient falls and injuries can support a malpractice claim. But when there are questions about the care that a patient received or is receiving and these questions are not being addressed adequately (or at all) by the hospital, an attorney can sometimes get to the answers better than a family member can.

The mom should speak to an attorney.

LdiJ

Not really. But, clearly, it has tainted YOUR perceptions.
I cannot blame her a whole lot. I was in the hospital for 11 days almost 2 years ago and my care was very spotty. I got great care some days, really horrible care other days and medium care the rest. It all depended on who was on duty. I had my sister advocating for me and on one of the really horrible days she had to go to the hospital administrator.

When you are helpless and being ignored it is really traumatic. If you are helpless, 90 years old and possibly dealing with some dementia, it must seem like one of Dante's circles of hell if you are being ignored.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">