+ Reply to Thread

Lifting mental health certification / daughter wrongly judged disabled

My 32 year old daughter went into an eating disorder facility voluntarily for treatment and upon deciding she would like to receive treatment at a different center was then certified, and was wrongly judged as gravely disabled. She has been in the current treatment center for a month and a half and has complied with all the rules and weight restored enough they are sending her to their step down treatment center since she is no longer considered in need of acute care. She has had a really difficult time at this particular treatment center and we have not been happy with her treatment, which included an abdominal surgery we felt was unnecessary. How and who do I contact to get the certification lifted so we can go to a treatment center of our own choosing now?

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomforall85 View Post
    My 32 year old daughter went into an eating disorder facility voluntarily for treatment and upon deciding she would like to receive treatment at a different center was then certified, and was wrongly judged as gravely disabled. She has been in the current treatment center for a month and a half and has complied with all the rules and weight restored enough they are sending her to their step down treatment center since she is no longer considered in need of acute care. She has had a really difficult time at this particular treatment center and we have not been happy with her treatment, which included an abdominal surgery we felt was unnecessary. How and who do I contact to get the certification lifted so we can go to a treatment center of our own choosing now?
    What state did this happen in?

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi01 View Post
    What state did this happen in?
    Thank you for replying, it happened in the state of Colorado

Thank you for replying, it happened in the state of Colorado
    How long has your daughter had this disorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi01 View Post
    How long has your daughter had this disorder?
    She has struggled on and off with an eating disorder since around age 12. She got better on her own with no eating disorder behaviors at all for 5 years until her father died a few years ago.

She has struggled on and off with an eating disorder since around age 12. She got better on her own with no eating disorder behaviors at all for 5 years until her father died a few years ago.
    What was the cause of the eating disorder? Was she given psychological assistance at 12? If so what was the Dx?

I'm very sorry about your daughters suffering.
    This is very difficult disease and and you have experienced it can be relapsing

If you have issues with your daughter's care you need to speak to a medical malpractice attorney

You need to talk to a psychiatrist and a lawyer about having the judgement lifted.

This is a really complex situation, and we understand and many of us can relate on different levels (as carers and as sufferers).

I know these may be a painful questions, and it oversimplifies a complex diagnosis, but it will really contextualize things very greatly - what is your daughter's height and her weight when she entered the facility?

What is your daughter's exact diagnosis? (if you know the diagnostic code that will help)

What was the surgery exactly and why do you feel it was not necessary?

Also, do you have power of attorney or guardianship or something like that over your daughter?

The state of Colorado has guardianship.

The surgery was an abdominal exploratory surgery.

The feeding tubes often get clogged. While my daughter was in treatment she has one very painful feeding tube insertion. Her vision went white for several minutes. All of the doctors were informed of this. She also notified doctors her heart felt like it was pounding. She indeed did have a high heart rate (around 148) she said she was having no pain in her stomach but they decided to do a scan of her stomach. They found free air in her abdomen which had not been there before entering treatment and they urged the surgery that night. They found no perforation or if there had been one it healed on its own. The cardiologist said her heart rate was unrelated and was likely brought on by an electrolyte imbalance which occurred at the treatment center. The surgery was very painful and put her through extreme distress and made recovery even harder. Iím told all courts will side with the hospital because they would have been lia me had they done nothing.

Regardless, at this point she deserves treatment elsewhere. One of her rights as a patient is to protest any transfer to another facility. I have left a message with her court appointed attorney but concerned because she was extremely unhelpful a month and half ago when she was first certified and even made a snippy comment about how the state of Colorado was paying for the services.

My daughter is 5í3 and and Iím guessing around 85 -90 lbs currently. She was 65 upon entering and has been eating about 3000 calories orally on a sore stomach for about two weeks now. She actually asked to be off the tube and take her nutrition orally despite her stomach pain.

I should add her heart pounding happened at least a week and half to two weeks after the painful feeding tube insertion. There wasnít much to indicate they had anything to do with each other but the doctors must have been worried in order to do the scan.

+ Reply to Thread