• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Billing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shewasnumber1

Can a medical group take your copayment for a service (I.e orthopedic check up) towards an outstanding balance in collections and then bill you again for that same copayment?

ecmst12

They're not billing you twice for the same copay. They're applying your payment to your outstanding balance, adding the new copay to that balance as well, and then billing you for the new total. It's standard and proper to apply any payments to the oldest debt first.

LdiJ

They're not billing you twice for the same copay. They're applying your payment to your outstanding balance, adding the new copay to that balance as well, and then billing you for the new total. It's standard and proper to apply any payments to the oldest debt first.
Are we sure that the practice would not violate a provider's contract with the insurance company? I am not saying that it does, nor do I know the answer to the question. I just think its a question worth asking.

PayrollHRGuy

I've never seen a carrier that would care. The money is owed to the provider. The carrier doesn't care where they apply it.

ecmst12

Yes, we are sure that this practice would not violate any contracts with any insurance company. Only someone who knows nothing about health insurance would think that's a question worth asking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">