• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical packet, HIPPA rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Washington state

I need to obtain some medical records from a physical therapist clinic. My physical therapist has been neglectful when it cames to contacting me. They have emailed my mom, my auto adjuster and other medical providers. When I asked them to email me they say they don't send out emails.

I have asked them to email my statement to me and they say that my emails is too long for the computer system but it says that it sent. They have no record that it sent, either. I have asked them to change my email and they have refused stating they don't send out emails even after there attempt in person.

If I ask for my packet and they refuse to email it to me in PDF form is that a violation of my HIPAA rights in Washington State.

My claim is closed. I did pick up my packet after multiple failed phone attempts for them mail it to me. Upon inspection it's missing evaluations and treatment notes. I wish to obtain these for my records as they are not honest. If they refuse what action can and do I take?

Thank you!

PayrollHRGuy

No, it is not a violation of HIPAA for them not to email you something.

Go back to the clinic with a copy of what you have. Ask them to check and make sure all documents that they have are in your copy.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Washington state

I need to obtain some medical records from a physical therapist clinic. My physical therapist has been neglectful when it cames to contacting me. They have emailed my mom, my auto adjuster and other medical providers. When I asked them to email me they say they don't send out emails.

I have asked them to email my statement to me and they say that my emails is too long for the computer system but it says that it sent. They have no record that it sent, either. I have asked them to change my email and they have refused stating they don't send out emails even after there attempt in person.

If I ask for my packet and they refuse to email it to me in PDF form is that a violation of my HIPAA rights in Washington State.

My claim is closed. I did pick up my packet after multiple failed phone attempts for them mail it to me. Upon inspection it's missing evaluations and treatment notes. I wish to obtain these for my records as they are not honest. If they refuse what action can and do I take?

Thank you!
What "right" do you think has been violated by them refusing to use email (a notoriously unsecure method)?

You have the right to send them notes and ask that they be inserted in to your file.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Depending on certain details, it is in fact possible that if they DID email to you THAT would be a HIPAA violation.

PayrollHRGuy

You can also bring a thumb drive with you and ask them to copy your all records onto the drive. (For some electronic medical records, this is actually harder than printing to paper, but if it's easier with their system, then you've give the office staff a quicker way to help you out.)
And their electronic system may well be proprietary software and you want be able to read it. Just get the paper.

Thank you guys for the help. The only reason I want them to email is because they were suppose to email a home excerise program to me and never did. They falsified my chart notes stating they were updating them and that I was compliant. They never went over this treatment with me. Last till I picked up my packet the owner discriminate against my age so I feel uncomfortable setting foot in the outpatient facility.

Zigner

Thank you guys for the help. The only reason I want them to email is because they were suppose to email a home excerise program to me and never did. They falsified my chart notes stating they were updating them and that I was compliant. They never went over this treatment with me. Last till I picked up my packet the owner discriminate against my age so I feel uncomfortable setting foot in the outpatient facility.
What do you hope to accomplish?

Zigner

You're right - I don't know if Meaningful Use applies to PT offices. My bad.

But to just completely derail the thread and respond to matter of EHR requirements - (followed by irrelevant information)
Fixed it for ya

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">