• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Psychologist disclosed information without consent and caused financial damages - VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhenWillItEnd

Virginia -

Psychologist disclosed 3rd party treatment information without consent or release.
This was later used against me and cost me a few thousand in legal fees.
Any advice re: VA statutes, etc I should read that address this?

How do i pursue a remedy to this in VA?

PayrollHRGuy

Disclosed to whom? How did the psychologist have the the information if the treatment was performed by a 3rd party?

WhenWillItEnd

Psychologist gave test related info to a new treating Doctor - then had a brief discussion with the new doc.
Psychologist took info received from new doc (they were speaking psychologist to psychologist) --

Psychologist took info received from new doc and disclosed it to opposing counsel in a court case... then it was immediately used against me.
I have an email re: the disclosure, so I know it happened. and my lawyer spent countless hours dealing with it and billing me.

WhenWillItEnd

I've already tossed enough $$ his way to buy a few new cars.... i don't want to go that route if i don't have to. Every question to him costs me hundreds more -- and he really doesn't want to get involved in this part of it.

xylene

Are we talking criminal or civil litigation?

Disclosed it how? Like took it on himself to deliver this information or was subpoenaed for this info... or was subpoenaed and over-disclosed or was subpoenaed and you expected him to fight the subpeona... or what

You are asking about a highly nuanced situation with very very little info and background presented

WhenWillItEnd

disclosed information in a phone call.
then opposing counsel sent my lawyer an email saying x,y,z was told to her by the psychologist, and it impacts child custody.
then the war started.

PayrollHRGuy

IF you have a case you aren't going to be able to handle it without a lawyer. And any new lawyer is going to have to spend time and your money getting up to speed on the case time that your current/former lawyer won't have to spend.

xylene

disclosed information in a phone call.
then opposing counsel sent my lawyer an email saying x,y,z was told to her by the psychologist, and it impacts child custody.
then the war started.
OK, he took it on himself to call or answered a call?

Is this about child custody or litigating an accident?

xylene

and what exactly is x y and z? why so cryptic?

Do they actually impact custody?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">