• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 14-12c VS PTSD MEB

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AirborneChris

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am an E-7, 17 years TIS with 7 combat deployments (59 months). Since my last rotation (Jan 2016) I have been diagnosed with PTSD, TBI, alcohol dependency and other things. This last year it has been very rough with fighting with the PTSD and the alcohol dependency. I received a DUI on base Apr 2017 and was enrolled in ASAP and in an Inpatient treatment facility for the alcohol and PTSD. Since then I had 3 alcohol related incidents due to verbal arguments with my wife (We live on base housing) which the MPs were called. A MEB was initiated and processed from my Behavior Health Psychiatrist prior to the DUI and alcohol related incidents. Once my MEB packet was completed and was going to be sent out for VA ratings it was stopped and sent up to the CG with a Chapter 14 12C packet. How long is the packet and how does he take in consideration the MEB packet and relevant PTSD documentation. I know on my Chapter packet my Behavioral Health team are very supportive of my sistuation and my Psychiatrist noted on my Chapter packet that I was, "Unfit for Chapter due to PTSD. Recommend MEB process." Will the CG take this into consideration? Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am an E-7, 17 years TIS with 7 combat deployments (59 months). Since my last rotation (Jan 2016) I have been diagnosed with PTSD, TBI, alcohol dependency and other things. This last year it has been very rough with fighting with the PTSD and the alcohol dependency. I received a DUI on base Apr 2017 and was enrolled in ASAP and in an Inpatient treatment facility for the alcohol and PTSD. Since then I had 3 alcohol related incidents due to verbal arguments with my wife (We live on base housing) which the MPs were called. A MEB was initiated and processed from my Behavior Health Psychiatrist prior to the DUI and alcohol related incidents. Once my MEB packet was completed and was going to be sent out for VA ratings it was stopped and sent up to the CG with a Chapter 14 12C packet. How long is the packet and how does he take in consideration the MEB packet and relevant PTSD documentation. I know on my Chapter packet my Behavioral Health team are very supportive of my sistuation and my Psychiatrist noted on my Chapter packet that I was, "Unfit for Chapter due to PTSD. Recommend MEB process." Will the CG take this into consideration? Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.
First, Chris, let me thank you for both your service and your sacrifices.

Next, I have to give you the really, really unsatisfying answer of "no one but the CG knows." Now, I have worked with Soldiers in similar situations (aka, Dx'd with PTSD/TBI and then got into some legal trouble). And they were allowed to continue with the MEB, and for some, were medically retired. And although I believe that in most cases that's the right answer, it really IS up to the CG's discretion.

Your treatment team and CoC's support will go a long ways, but they're not the ones signing the memo. All you can do at this point is continue with your treatment and try your best not to stress.

I wish you the best, and hope you'll come back with an update.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">