• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facing possible discharge. Medical? Administrative? Not sure.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brennen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello,

I will give a brief summary of my situation, although it is quite complex. I am an E-4 in the US Navy Reserve with 3 years of service and am currently on active duty orders for at least 1 year. I began showing symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes while on military training orders in October, 2016. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes off duty, by a civilian doctor in November, 2016. I disclosed my condition to military medical in November, 2016 and was found "Not physically qualified, but recommended for retention" in April, 2017. I was selected for 1 year active duty orders INCONUS from October, 2017-October, 2018. I am currently active duty while completing those orders. However, with General Mattis creating the new policy of "be world wide assignable or get kicked out", it seems I may be facing discharge soon as I am not deployable.

Here are my questions:

What type of discharge will I receive if it comes to that?

Do I get any separation benefits (severance pay, disability) since I was diagnosed off duty (in a drilling reservist status) by a civilian even though symptoms started while I was on training orders? (I know I get veteran benefits because I will have served at least 1 year of active duty).

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello,

I will give a brief summary of my situation, although it is quite complex. I am an E-4 in the US Navy Reserve with 3 years of service and am currently on active duty orders for at least 1 year. I began showing symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes while on military training orders in October, 2016. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes off duty, by a civilian doctor in November, 2016. I disclosed my condition to military medical in November, 2016 and was found "Not physically qualified, but recommended for retention" in April, 2017. I was selected for 1 year active duty orders INCONUS from October, 2017-October, 2018. I am currently active duty while completing those orders. However, with General Mattis creating the new policy of "be world wide assignable or get kicked out", it seems I may be facing discharge soon as I am not deployable.

Here are my questions:

What type of discharge will I receive if it comes to that?

Do I get any separation benefits (severance pay, disability) since I was diagnosed off duty (in a drilling reservist status) by a civilian even though symptoms started while I was on training orders? (I know I get veteran benefits because I will have served at least 1 year of active duty).
The discharge will be honorable. But that's as much anyone could tell you right now. With approximately 280,000 troops currently non-deployable at the moment, each of the Branches is going to have to figure out how long they will give their troops to get healthy or get out.

As far as severance/disability, that's a big "maybe." They'll determine if the diabetes was a preexisting condition that was aggravated by your service; that will determine whether it's considered in your disability rating.

Bottom line: the Pentagon hasn't issued its guidance yet. We'll all know more when they do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">