• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marine needs help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BOBROWSKI2377

Honorable representative,
I have served 4.5 years of a 5 year contract to the armed forces. In 2003 I served in OEF/OIF. Shortly after returning I started presenting signs of PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). In 2004 I was diagnosed with ADHD, obsessive compulsive disorder, general anxiety disorder, panic disorder. On January 11th 2005 I was admitted to the mental health ward at Balboa naval hospital, spent 22 days under their care and left with the diagnoses of a personality disorder NOS (not otherwise specified) and an anxiety disorder NOS. Recommendations from the hospital to my command on February 2nd were,
1)Expeditious administrative separation.
2)Counseling for alcohol and drug abuse because i'm at a higher risk level for abuse.
3)To work closely with the Chaplin until my discharge.
4)To be admitted to the VA hospital for care.

None of these recommendations were taken by my command. During the month of April 2005 my command recommended charges of larceny, house breaking, forgery, and disobeying a direct order be refereed to base legal for processing. This added an undesirable amount of stress to my preexisting conditions. In May 2005 I returned to the mental health unit at Balboa hospital for self inflicted injury's to my arm,face,and upper body. I stayed approximately 20 days. I was discharged from the hospital with the same recommendations as first inpatient treatment.

Once again all recommendations were ignored, or over looked by my command. In June 2005 I tested positive on a random urinalysis for THC. My command added more charges to the list. Even though they non- rec ed me in March for promotion for being mental unstable and unable to preform the duties of a fully health marine.

Here are my questions.
1)Why was my first recommendation for admin separation ignored until months later?
2)Why was the recommendation for me to receive counseling for drug and alcohol abuse totally ignored two times? Even after me an my SNCOIC went together again and requested I be sent to counseling for drug and alcohol abuse.
3)Why when the average time for charges to be preferred and refereed is a week, and mine have taken over a month?
4)Why have I not been moved to a medical holding platoon until my discharge, especially since I am unable to preform my job (mos 6462 aviation tech).
5)Why is my command bringing charges against me that they wouldn't bring against any other marine, specifically Article 92 ( disobeying a direct order)? The order I was supposed to have disobeyed was having brass, and a Marine Corps k-bar (knife) in my barracks room, every Marine has theses items in their rooms.
6)Why would drug charges be brought against me, since my command ignored 3 recommendations for me to attend alcohol and drug counseling? (I must have a referral from my command to seek this treatment).
7)Why am I constantly brushed off when I ask for a time line on how long these issues will take to resolve?

My only focus for the past two years has been to receive medical help for my existing problems, and to leave the service with an honorable discharge. But every request I send to see a civilian physiologist and psychiatrist is answered by ignoring me, or telling me I will have to pay out of my own pocket to see these doctors. I lay much of the responsibility for what has taken past over the last year in my commands lap. Please help me I desperately need your help.

I knew a guy named Bo Browski, but he was retired Army SF from Vietman era. I was interested because I've heard numerous, numerous stories of guys being tagged with personality/anxiety disorders vice ptsd. I feel bad for guys who find themselves in this pickle. Often they have no idea what that means to them until they are discharged.

annette_wilson1

20 year military vet

Listen, YOU BROKE THE LAW!! By doing drugs, and the ZERo tolerance policy, it trumped your syndrome thing my friend... The military is under NO Obligation to help you with your drug problem at all, all they are required to do is offer you classes, which it is your responsibilty as a big boy to attend yourself. Although I am a little sympathatic with your condition, I am not sympathetic with what the military did to you! DRUGS inhance and advance ALL mental disablities, so in turn, you were worsening your condition by doing drugs. You know as a military man that it is your responsiblity to take care of yourself and be professional at ALL times, you chose a illegal road, and look at you now! Get off the drugs then contact the VA for help and possible benefits 18008271000

I wish all who shared the above opinion could have the benefit of an intense combat tour to provide some balance and insight.

Sad.

T

thepizzaguy

usmcleader said:
I wish all who shared the above opinion could have the benefit of an intense combat tour to provide some balance and insight.

Sad.
Well said... This forum runs rampant with the "suck it up and deal with it" mentality. Its no wonder why this board moves so slowly. Everyone who thinks about asking a question and then reads all these posts runs away. Oh and hey IAAL would you treat people the same way you do here if they came into your office with money to retain you?

annette_wilson1

20 year military vet

Listen, I served during 3 major conflict and had more than 14 tours, including two 16 month stint in Korea and Iraq in my 24 years of active duty, and was discharged last Oct 26, 2004 with a purple heart while serving in Tikrit Iraq when a car bomb flipped our Hummer on a prisoner transport. DONT YOU give me the feel sorry for me crap bud!! I could have come home crying too about not having a left leg anymore and drugged it up too, but I have more pride in myself and what I served for to do that! I dont want people feeling sorry for me, that is why I didnt mention it in my initial statement, but if you want to compare scars and battle wounds lets roll. I get tired of "feel sorry for me" people that BREAK THE LAW and want pity from people by hiding behind a war! Like I said, the VA has programs to help people with addictions and mental problems, but this guy HAS TO WANT HELP! Which means STOP expecting everyone else to do it for you, and be a man and get help. The sooner everyone stops holding this guys hand, then sooner he can get better! But for all you sympathists out there, just keeping feeling sorry for this guy and remember your tax dollars are paying for his trial AND DRUGS!

check

"be a man and get help"

Now I know you were not an 03XX.

And also, not everybody shares your view of the world as you've so simply outlined above.

Couple questions:

1. Were you this clearheaded and hard core back when you were an E3?

2. Have you ever received mental health treatment and then faced a return to your peer group at whatever office you worked at?

Look, countless soldiers have been all around the world and collected the t-shirts. That is different than being 19, a trigger-puller, placed into a killing frenzy, then returned to (fill in any city back in USA) and expected to march to the beat with no problems.

But I don't imagine there is anything I or anyone else could say -- here on this borad, or elsewhere -- that would at all influence the way you feel about the subject. You seem so very firmly planted in your views.

Sorry to hear your were severely wounded in Tikrit.

Crazed98

annette_wilson1 said:
Listen, I served during 3 major conflict and had more than 14 tours, including two 16 month stint in Korea and Iraq in my 24 years of active duty, and was discharged last Oct 26, 2004 with a purple heart while serving in Tikrit Iraq when a car bomb flipped our Hummer on a prisoner transport. DONT YOU give me the feel sorry for me crap bud!! I could have come home crying too about not having a left leg anymore and drugged it up too, but I have more pride in myself and what I served for to do that! I dont want people feeling sorry for me, that is why I didnt mention it in my initial statement, but if you want to compare scars and battle wounds lets roll. I get tired of "feel sorry for me" people that BREAK THE LAW and want pity from people by hiding behind a war! Like I said, the VA has programs to help people with addictions and mental problems, but this guy HAS TO WANT HELP! Which means STOP expecting everyone else to do it for you, and be a man and get help. The sooner everyone stops holding this guys hand, then sooner he can get better! But for all you sympathists out there, just keeping feeling sorry for this guy and remember your tax dollars are paying for his trial AND DRUGS!

I completely agree with you. The OP is blaming the army for him f*cking up but it is his fault. If he truly wanted help he would have sought it out for himself.

Usmcleader rank and age has nothing to do with this situation so don't try and pull that bs.

re:

crazed,

rank and age has nothing to do with this situation so don't try and pull that bs.

Are you saying an officer with 24 years of service will receive the same treatment by his command that an enlisted member with three years of service would?

Are you saying command tolerance for UCMJ infractions, behavior and medical conditions are also equal for these two demographics?

Please explain. I am riveted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">