• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military Breach of Contract reserve unit shut down

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgmccool

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hello, I need help, I've been fighting this for a over a year now.

I signed a guaranteed contract to be a Aviation Mechanic, My unit moved out of the state to well over 250 miles, more like 600 miles away. Since there are no aviation units within the 250 miles I was dropped to the Inactive Ready Reserves (IRR) I'm just on a list now). I've been reported to the credit agencies for money the spent on the GI bill for me. The VA says I owe no debt but the Department of Financial Accounting services (DFAS) says I do. They believe my unit reported the Debt.

I contacted my unit and now they are saying I didn't finish my obligation to the service.

If they insist I rejoin under another MOS totally unrelated to my basic job grouping I didn't sign up for and if they refuse to pay for my GI bill can I sew them? If so what type of lawyer should I look for.

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hello, I need help, I've been fighting this for a over a year now.

I signed a guaranteed contract to be a Aviation Mechanic, My unit moved out of the state to well over 250 miles, more like 600 miles away. Since there are no aviation units within the 250 miles I was dropped to the Inactive Ready Reserves (IRR) I'm just on a list now). I've been reported to the credit agencies for money the spent on the GI bill for me. The VA says I owe no debt but the Department of Financial Accounting services (DFAS) says I do. They believe my unit reported the Debt.

I contacted my unit and now they are saying I didn't finish my obligation to the service.

If they insist I rejoin under another MOS totally unrelated to my basic job grouping I didn't sign up for and if they refuse to pay for my GI bill can I sew them? If so what type of lawyer should I look for.

Thanks
You will want to find a lawyer that deals in military matters who can thoroughly review your contract. I suspect that, upon a closer reading, it will be found that your contract allows for them to reassign you to the MOS that fills their need.

sgmccool

You will want to find a lawyer that deals in military matters who can thoroughly review your contract. I suspect that, upon a closer reading, it will be found that your contract allows for them to reassign you to the MOS that fills their need.
No, it clearly states I signed up for the position I held. I had several friends who where released under the same closure and they are getting their benefits, someone went in and changed my coding on my GI bill eligibility.

Aside from the above, what type of Lawyer should I be looking for?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, it clearly states I signed up for the position I held. I had several friends who where released under the same closure and they are getting their benefits, someone went in and changed my coding on my GI bill eligibility.

Aside from the above, what type of Lawyer should I be looking for?
As I said, you will want to find an attorney that deals with military matters.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Having had a child who had to deal with pretty much the same situation, I agree with your suspicion.

xylene

Please note that how "other people" were handled may not be applicable.

1)There may be other facts in their case you don't know.

2)The military officials very likely have broad discretion to handle cases individually and differently based on the needs of the service. You can't look at unit members and guarantee your case was handled the same way for the same reasons.

I'm sorry about this hassle, and because of the money involved you really need a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">