• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

missing IRR report date - consequences?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmwbell

What is the name of your state? GA

What can we do?

My fiance served 14 months in Iraq, and got back in Feb 2005. He was put on IRR (or IW - whatever they're calling it now) and his Army contract is up in late 2009. He was served with orders to go BACK to the sandbox in December 06, with a report date of 14Jan07. We were unaware that he should have just ignored it all, and he filed for a Delay/Exemption. They gave him a delay (due to an ongoing divorce case and custody battle), and now he has new orders for a 3Jun07 report date. He's faced with a dilemma: Go back and risk losing his sanity - or worse, risk death - fighting for a cause he no longer believes in? Or does he ignore his new orders and just not report, but then risk going to jail? He absolutely does not want to go back to war (obviously I don't want him to either, nor do our families), but we don't want him to lose his job or have jailtime mucking up his permanent record. He's also just now getting frequent visitation with his 2 yr old daughter (after not being able to see her for a year due to the crappy court system where his ex-wife lives), so he wants to be able to see her - not have to be out of her life even further.

Can anyone give us some insight? Has anyone on IRR actually been put in jail for not showing up recently? Or is he just looking at a possible OTH discharge? If it's the latter, we're not too worried about it at all - as he has a good job and will receive plenty of benefits from it.

Anyone have any advice?

What is the name of your state? GA

What can we do?

My fiance served 14 months in Iraq, and got back in Feb 2005. He was put on IRR (or IW - whatever they're calling it now) and his Army contract is up in late 2009. He was served with orders to go BACK to the sandbox in December 06, with a report date of 14Jan07. We were unaware that he should have just ignored it all, and he filed for a Delay/Exemption. They gave him a delay (due to an ongoing divorce case and custody battle), and now he has new orders for a 3Jun07 report date. He's faced with a dilemma: Go back and risk losing his sanity - or worse, risk death - fighting for a cause he no longer believes in? Or does he ignore his new orders and just not report, but then risk going to jail? He absolutely does not want to go back to war (obviously I don't want him to either, nor do our families), but we don't want him to lose his job or have jailtime mucking up his permanent record. He's also just now getting frequent visitation with his 2 yr old daughter (after not being able to see her for a year due to the crappy court system where his ex-wife lives), so he wants to be able to see her - not have to be out of her life even further.

Can anyone give us some insight? Has anyone on IRR actually been put in jail for not showing up recently? Or is he just looking at a possible OTH discharge? If it's the latter, we're not too worried about it at all - as he has a good job and will receive plenty of benefits from it.

Anyone have any advice?

OP writes:
If it's the latter, we're not too worried about it at all - as he has a good job and will receive plenty of benefits from it.

Don't be short sighted about this. Jobs come and go. Your discharge will stay the same and so will the questions from future potential employers.

bmwbell

true..

You bring up a good point. On the other hand, when he got back from Iraq (and put on IRR) they gave him an Honorable Discharge. From what I could gather from the GI Rights site and from another forum, the Honorable Discharge will take precedence over the OTH. And I would think that any possible future employer would want the situation explained to them, and simply put, my fiance did what he had to do once and went over there, served his time there, and when he got called back he didn't go because he'd already been and he didn't agree with the war anymore.

When the army called up the 5600 irr, or however many it was in the last couple of years, there was a lot of them that did not shw up. The army stated that none of them would be classified as awol .Some might not of shown up b/c of not receiving orders due to moving or mail problems. The people who intentionally did not show up will be discharged with either hon, gen, or oth discharge. It was in papers all over the country and it is on the internet still.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">