• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reverse Mortgage Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AndyA

I am trying to learn more about the reverse mortgage counseling process and figure out where I could fine a good counselor. I was reading a site I was referred to called www.reversemortgageabcs.com that walked through the process of getting a reverse mortgage, however, it did not list counselors. Does anyone know of a good resource or have any idea how much a counselor costs? Are the costs borne by the lender in the event I do not proceed with my reverse mortgage or do I have to go out of pocket? Any insights would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:

Cedrus

Think your potential RM lender will have a list of approved counselors. It can be done in person or over the phone. It takes 45-60 minutes and you will receive a certificate indicating you went thru the process.

No cost to you. The lender will not process your application until they have the Certificate in hand.

As an aside, we are doing a RM now. We went with a private, non government, fixed rate loan and did not go with mortgage insurance. We are going to draw everything out at the closing and leave nothing in an account to access later. So why do we need to pay for it? Still a non-recourse loan.

Go to www.aarp.org and enter "homemade money" in the search box.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">