• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boundary Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deckfeather

Minnesota

Bought a house on 10 acres this past summer. Old farmstead.
There is a small lake (non recreational, no roads to it) on east end of property. According to the abstract map (we have a copy of it, old school hand drawn) we own 100' of said lake.

The neighbor who owns the REST of the land around the lake had his land logged a few years ago. Surveyor stopped by here and informed the previous owner of his intentions on surveying before the logging starts.

The surveyor stopped by and left a note to PO stating that she does indeed own the 100 feet of shoreline.

Later that day (after stopping by other land owners house) surveyor returned here and told PO "I made a mistake. You do not own any shoreline."

Neighbor went to Abstract office and took full command of the 100', so he owns complete around the lake. PO was low on money at the time, and rolled over to save money on property tax.

Smells pretty fishy to me. We would like to have access to the lake for canoeing, swimming, etc. Maybe a small cabin down there in the future.

Since this 100' is in the original property map and title, should this be an easy correction? This house is a hundred years old.

So much money has been spent on the lake shore being a part of the property for so many years.

I'd rather not spend a couple grand on a surveyor.

Thank you in advance for any help.

FarmerJ

what else would you use but a boundary survey of your own especially if you find out that your boundary survey does not agree with the other property owners survey? Get a boundary survey of your own , if it doesn't agree with the other neighbors survey then go see a attorney to find out what your options are! there wont be a super easy way to resolve this unless your willing to do nothing and just accept the neighbors survey as it is.

xylene

I'm inclined to think your screwed and your recourse, if any, is against the "PO"

But you absolutely need a survey and a lawyer.

HRZ

MY going down to the recorders office and filing a survey does not prove a darn thing about who owns what ...but it sure lays the paper foundation to lay claim to your lands UNLESS you get over and make copies ...of EVERYTHING., surveys , both sets of deeds at least two steps back too. Plus some pretty good pictures of the area and get a pair of legal eyes skilled on land use matters to comment further . snooze runs risk to lose .

And I want the lawyers eyes on it first .

Be sure copies show dates

154NH773

Neighbor went to Abstract office and took full command of the 100', so he owns complete around the lake. PO was low on money at the time, and rolled over to save money on property tax.
What does this mean exactly? (Took full command? Rolled over?)

Did she sign a deed of any type that may have relinquished her rights or title?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">