• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my neighbor put in a speed bump on row easement driveway? They are legit crazy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cuckoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I moved into a house 6 months ago and have had nothing but problems with the neighbors who are the property owners where the easement is. The only rights I have to the right of way is to ingress and egress. Since moving in the lady would take a pile of leaves so we could not use the driveway. So we have had nothing but problems with this lady who has called cops more times than we can count. The cops know she's crazy and are sick of being called over nonsense. We are the fourth tenant in a year bc she drives everyone out of there with her crazy antics. I refuse to let her drive us out too. the driveway is very narrow and up a steep hill so in winter it gets icy and we get stuck numerous times a day trying to make it up. Yesterday she had her husband put in a speed bump and it's not even on the part of the driveway she has to use. They know that we get stuck in that same spot and she is trying to make it harder for us. Is this legal? My own mother can't even come over bc it would probably hurt her muffler (even without the speed bump her muffler hits the driveway in certain spots and this is one of the spots). Just would like to know if there is something that can be done. They have also been threatening us that they are going to put in a gate so we can't use the driveway (which I don't think could happen bc we are landlocked). Thanks in advance for any advise!

xylene

The cops know she's crazy and are sick of being called over nonsense.
The cops being sick of it is not your concern and you need to keep involving them when you are confronted or blocked. It's harassment.

We are the fourth tenant in a year bc she drives everyone out of there with her crazy antics.
Um, what is your landlord doing to address this problem? What does your lease say? But honestly you might want to get a lawyer to light a fire under your landlord's backside on this intolerable situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">