• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i take action against Facebook for paying them only to be blocked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

se7envr

My facebook account was blocked and i was asked to provide a photo (Not ID)
First off i have never posted a photo of myself so were not sure how Facebook would know it was me etc as it was NOT ID they asked for.
I sent a photo and waited like the page said after 2 days i log in to find my account has been closed.
My personal Account is also linked to a Business account which i have paid Facebook money to boost posts etc.
I have appealed against the decision as per link they they have on the facebook page actually i appeal every day i have now sent them over 15 appeals each time it said you will get an email shortly.
At no time have i received an email from Facebook, I have no idea why my account was blocked, i dont understand why they wanted a photo. Since the first appeal i have sent them my ID to show it is me.
Now i can not access my Business account so i want to know can i seek compensation against Facebook for the money i have paid only to not be allowed to access my account. As i paid for a service as a consumer i should have some rights!
I am not the only person who Facebook has done this to the internet if full of Similar stories.

FlyingRon

Nope. Your terms and conditions allow them to pull your access at any time, even if you've paid for advertising or other promotional access.

se7envr

Nope. Your terms and conditions allow them to pull your access at any time, even if you've paid for advertising or other promotional access.
Thanks for the answer better servic that i have got from Facebook :D
But if they have never given me a reason it seems very unfair. If i had broken the rules then i would understand.

FlyingRon

The photo thing occurs when there are multiple accounts that appear to be the same person. The photo has to be one that isn't the same one as one of the ones already on facebook.
Failure to comply properly IS a violation of the rules.

While this isn't a legal issue, did by any chance did you try to create a user account that matched one already on facebook? Did you send them a picture that was already uploaded to them somewhere else?

se7envr

The photo thing occurs when there are multiple accounts that appear to be the same person. The photo has to be one that isn't the same one as one of the ones already on facebook.
Failure to comply properly IS a violation of the rules.

While this isn't a legal issue, did by any chance did you try to create a user account that matched one already on facebook? Did you send them a picture that was already uploaded to them somewhere else?

No i used my correct name and the account has been active for almost a year, Out of the blue i got the request for a photo which i sent, The photo has never been published on Facebook or anywhere else.
Just reading there community help page today i have read 3 other stories of the same thing happening.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Facebook is cracking down on fake accounts in order to get rid of bots. You may have gotten caught in that.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Do you have a name that sounds fake? In spite of the fact that there are really obvious fake accounts out there (Persona Nongrata comes to mind, for example), the algorithms occasionally target people whose real names trigger something. A friend couldn't even establish an account using her legal name without submitting photo id - I assume because of her surname.

FlyingRon

If they think you used a fake name, they ask for you to send them a copy of you photo ID. The "photo not previously uploaded" is done to thwart the practice of hackers "cloning" existing facebook users

quincy

If they think you used a fake name, they ask for you to send them a copy of you photo ID. The "photo not previously uploaded" is done to thwart the practice of hackers "cloning" existing facebook users
This was (still is?) a major problem for some Native Americans when trying to open Facebook accounts. They were unable to register using their given names because the names were flagged as fake. In addition, Facebook would "Americanize" some of the names.

If you are "Crazy Horse," in other words, you can be asked to provide other identifying information. It can be a challenge getting an account.

I believe the ACLU was involved in a legal action filed against Facebook for this reason. It was awhile ago so I can't remember the details.

jimnyc

My facebook account was blocked and i was asked to provide a photo (Not ID)
When you sent your photo to them, was it a photo ID? Granted, they may not have specifically stated those 2 letters - but if they wanted this photo for verification of who you are, and you sent them a photo only with nothing else, of course that could be the problem. What type of photo did you send?

FlyingRon

Again, it appears not to be a name verification where they ask for ID.

This is a cloning investigation. THey ask for a "photo not previously uploaded which clearly shows your face" as an indication that you're not copying someone else's facebook profile.

They would have specifically asked for a photo ID if it was a suspected non-valid name case.

In any matter, it makes no different. Facebook's circus. Facebook's monkeys. Unlike Quncy's contrived Native American case, this doesn't appear to be unlawful discrimination.
You failed to adquately respond to their security request and they're free to boot you.

quincy

Again, it appears not to be a name verification where they ask for ID.

This is a cloning investigation. THey ask for a "photo not previously uploaded which clearly shows your face" as an indication that you're not copying someone else's facebook profile.

They would have specifically asked for a photo ID if it was a suspected non-valid name case.

In any matter, it makes no different. Facebook's circus. Facebook's monkeys. Unlike Quncy's contrived Native American case, this doesn't appear to be unlawful discrimination.
You failed to adquately respond to their security request and they're free to boot you.
"Contrived" Native American case?

I agree that Facebook would probably be requesting more than a photo for a name issue. That said, do you think you could try to be pleasant when responding, FlyingRon? Thank you so much.

Facebook agreed to change their real-name policy in 2015 after a class action suit was considered. Acciunts were denied to Shane Creepingbear (Kiowa), Robin Kills the Enemy (Sioux), Lance Brown Eyes (Oglala) ... many others ... because their names were flagged as fake.

There is now a protocol established on Facebook for those denied accounts or whose accounts have been closed. This is the SAME protocol se7envr will want to use to resolve his account closure.

se7envr

Do you have a name that sounds fake? In spite of the fact that there are really obvious fake accounts out there (Persona Nongrata comes to mind, for example), the algorithms occasionally target people whose real names trigger something. A friend couldn't even establish an account using her legal name without submitting photo id - I assume because of her surname.
My names is Christopher William i used Chris William to me thats a very normal plain name nothing special and should not set off alarm bells.

I was ask for a Photo not for ID the request from Facebook was very clear.
Since my account has been closed you have a link to appeal and on that link it asks for Photo ID which i have now sent them over 15times each time i get a message saying you will receive an email shortly, Only to never get an email.

Thanks every one for all the advice it looks like im going to have to accept that Facebook has taken my money closed my account and nothing i can do about it.

Advice from me if you have a business account on Facebook make sure you have a back up account linked to it so you can still access it if the same thing happens to you.

quincy

My names is Christopher William i used Chris William to me thats a very normal plain name nothing special and should not set off alarm bells.

I was ask for a Photo not for ID the request from Facebook was very clear.
Since my account has been closed you have a link to appeal and on that link it asks for Photo ID which i have now sent them over 15times each time i get a message saying you will receive an email shortly, Only to never get an email.

Thanks every one for all the advice it looks like im going to have to accept that Facebook has taken my money closed my account and nothing i can do about it.

Advice from me if you have a business account on Facebook make sure you have a back up account linked to it so you can still access it if the same thing happens to you.
How long has your account been disabled?

Did you backup (archive) all of your data?

se7envr

How long has your account been disabled?

Did you backup (archive) all of your data?
Accounts been down now since the 27th of last month.

No i didn't back anything up as i didn't expect to get my FB account closed. Once they lock you out and ask for the photo you can not access anything so its all technically lost.
Im lucky i don't use FB to store photos as i know some people that have lost it all.
I have lost a lost of important contacts which is very annoying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">