• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancelled my order but they sent it anyway - now they want me to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chelseyloohoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - Texas

Two Christmas' ago, I made the mistake of purchasing a jersey from a website I didn't validate. Immediately after purchasing, I received a note from my credit card company asking if this was a real purchase or not. That was my first indication that the website was probably not the most reputable of sites. I did some quick research and realized that they were an Asian company that created fake jerseys (which is not what I wanted). I quickly sent them an email cancelling the order and cancelled the payment on my credit card.

A few days later, they sent me an email stating that my order was being processed. I responded saying that I had cancelled my order and payment and told them to please not send it.

Weeks later, the jersey arrived on my doorstep.

I reached back out when I got the package and told them I had received the jersey which I had cancelled and not paid for, and asked for a shipping label so that I may return it. I did not receive the label. Instead, I have continued to receive emails asking for me to pay for the jersey. They ignore all emails where I ask for a label.

What is the recommended course of action? Do I ignore their emails? Do I continue to ask for a label? Is there anything they can legally do since I now have a product I haven't paid for?

quincy

Two Christmas' ago, I made the mistake of purchasing a jersey from a website I didn't validate. Immediately after purchasing, I received a note from my credit card company asking if this was a real purchase or not. That was my first indication that the website was probably not the most reputable of sites. I did some quick research and realized that they were an Asian company that created fake jerseys (which is not what I wanted). I quickly sent them an email cancelling the order and cancelled the payment on my credit card.

A few days later, they sent me an email stating that my order was being processed. I responded saying that I had cancelled my order and payment and told them to please not send it.

I reached back out when I got the package and told them I had received the jersey which I had cancelled and not paid for, and asked for a shipping label so that I may return it. I did not receive the label. Instead, I have continued to receive emails asking for me to pay for the jersey. They ignore all emails where I ask for a label.

What is the recommended course of action? Do I ignore their emails? Do I continue to ask for a label? Is there anything they can legally do since I now have a product I haven't paid for?
You can send the jersey back (return to sender) and/or you can contact the trademark holder to inform them of the counterfeit items being sold and shipped from overseas. If the jersey you purchased is, in fact, a counterfeit, it is unlikely you will be sued.

adjusterjack

Do I ignore their emails? Do I continue to ask for a label?
That's entirely up to you.

Is there anything they can legally do since I now have a product I haven't paid for?
Sure. They can send you to collections. Trash your credit. Sue you.

What is the recommended course of action?
My recommendation?

Spend the 5 bucks that it takes to send the damned thing back to them. Should have done that two years ago.

LdiJ

They haven't sent you a label because it would cost them more to ship it back to them than it actually cost them to make it. They are unlikely to do anything other than continue to send you emails for a while, hoping that you will pay. They know that they are selling counterfeit products.

quincy

... Should have done that two years ago.
I somehow missed the "two years." If you are still waiting for a shipping label, I think it is safe to say that you're not going to get one. :)

If the item is a counterfeit and the manufacturer is still making and selling the jerseys, I recommend you contact the trademark holder.

Is a suit being threatened? Is the unpaid bill showing up on your credit reports? If not, you can ignore all communications from the company.

chelseyloohoo

I somehow missed the "two years." If you are still waiting for a shipping label, I think it is safe to say that you're not going to get one. :)

If the item is a counterfeit and the manufacturer is still making and selling the jerseys, I recommend you contact the trademark holder.

Is a suit being threatened? Is the unpaid bill showing up on your credit reports? If not, you can ignore all communications from the company.
It's 100% counterfeit. Nope, they haven't threatened a suit, and it is not showing up on my credit reports.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">