+ Reply to Thread

Fraud - Know who did it

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

As a result of the Equifax breach, my credit card was out there and I ended up getting thousands of dollars worth of fraudulent transactions charged to my account. Fortunately i'm pretty vigilant and caught on after the first one and cancelled my card, but one person was able to get a free pair of shoes on me.

I worked with my credit card company and they investigated and i did ultimately have it reversed, but, I'm still pissed about it and after reviewing documentation, I received a record of the transaction from **** (not sure why that was *'d.. didn't swear) and it says who it was (at least their first name; they used my last name) and their shipping address. Can I sue them?

Quote Originally Posted by bandit7319 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

As a result of the Equifax breach, my credit card was out there and I ended up getting thousands of dollars worth of fraudulent transactions charged to my account. Fortunately i'm pretty vigilant and caught on after the first one and cancelled my card, but one person was able to get a free pair of shoes on me.
    No, they didn't. You were fully reimbursed for the fraudulent transaction.

I worked with my credit card company and they investigated and i did ultimately have it reversed, but, I'm still pissed about it and after reviewing documentation, I received a record of the transaction from **** (not sure why that was *'d.. didn't swear) and it says who it was (at least their first name; they used my last name) and their shipping address. Can I sue them?
    Sue them for what? You have no financial loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    No, they didn't. You were fully reimbursed for the fraudulent transaction.

Sue them for what? You have no financial loss.
    That's what i was hoping to get some assistance with. since they stole my credit card number and knowingly made a fraudulent purchase with it, it seems reasonable to me that if i know who did it there should be some kind of consequences. I realize that this happens all the time these days, but just because something happens all the time doesn't mean there shouldn't be consequences, especially when I have so much information available to me. Maybe suing wasn't the best choice of words, but other legal action I can take against the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit7319 View Post
    That's what i was hoping to get some assistance with. since they stole my credit card number and knowingly made a fraudulent purchase with it, it seems reasonable to me that if i know who did it there should be some kind of consequences. I realize that this happens all the time these days, but just because something happens all the time doesn't mean there shouldn't be consequences, especially when I have so much information available to me. Maybe suing wasn't the best choice of words, but other legal action I can take against the individual.
    Report the information to the police and let them handle it.

Your fraud case has nothing to do with the Equifax breech.

Quote Originally Posted by xylene View Post
    Your fraud case has nothing to do with the Equifax breech.
    I believe it does. I checked Equifax's link to whether or not I was potentially affected by the breach and it said it was, those who did it gained credit card information, and the time that the breach happened corresponded with when I started to receive all the fraudulent transactions.

+ Reply to Thread