• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Item I bought but have not received

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

don k

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas I bought an item at another forum from an individual. I sent him a check in the mail. He deposited the check. He has not sent me the item. I have tried to call, text and pm him on the other forum. He lives about 300 miles from me in the same state so it would not be easy to confront him directly. What are my options on either getting the item or my money back. Thanks

adjusterjack

You've been scammed.

Call the police where he is located and report it.

You may have to sue him where he lives.

Whether you ever see your money again is impossible to predict.

How much did you spend and on what?

don k

Only $120, a rifle scope. The money is not an issue. I just don't like getting screwed and would like him to get what he deserves without costing me anymore money.

PayrollHRGuy

If you aren't willing to spend anymore money your only option is to report it to the police. I doubt that they are going to do anything about it though.

All he has to say is he mailed it even if they did show up to talk to him about it. This really is a civil issue.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am retired so I have a little more free time than most.
It's going to cost you nearly as much to sue the bad guy in small claims court as it cost for the item, once you factor in associated unreimbursable costs. I suppose you can throw good money after bad if you want...

don k

I don't really care about the money. I just want him to get what he deserves. How about "mail fraud", wire fraud or something he did illegal that have consequences for your actions?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't really care about the money. I just want him to get what he deserves. How about "mail fraud", wire fraud or something he did illegal that have consequences for your actions?
Nope - this is a civil matter. In other words, it's a breach of contract (at worst). It's also entirely possible that the item was simply lost in the mail.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas I bought an item at another forum from an individual. I sent him a check in the mail. He deposited the check. He has not sent me the item. I have tried to call, text and pm him on the other forum. He lives about 300 miles from me in the same state so it would not be easy to confront him directly. What are my options on either getting the item or my money back. Thanks
How long ago did you order the item? There are delays in shipping some items due to holiday mailings. What makes you think the seller has not sent, or does not intend to send, the item you ordered? The seller might have wanted to ensure your check would clear before shipping.

don k

How long ago did you order the item? There are delays in shipping some items due to holiday mailings. What makes you think the seller has not sent, or does not intend to send, the item you ordered? The seller might have wanted to ensure your check would clear before shipping.
The check cleared on I believe Dec. 6th. I sent the check on Nov. 30th. I tried to contact him to let me know when the check arrived. I have tried through forum pm's, phone calls and text since the start of the month but have not had any replies. I also found the home landline number and where he used to work numbers. They are no longer in service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">