• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawsuit against steam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dware94

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? mass

i would like to bring a lawsuit against steam (video game content provider)

this is going to sound stupid (and it is) but im tired of getting pushed around by these losers. i purchased emoticons from the community market and they were removed recently due to a DMCA notice. i wasnt given a notifiactation or any heads up that they were removed. i was also not compensated. they removed items from my account that i had paid for and they never sent a single notification. i asked for a list of all items removed from my acount in the last 90 days and they refused!

i have money and im ready to go. pm me if you need more deatails.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

this is going to sound stupid (and it is) but im tired of getting pushed around by these losers. i purchased emoticons from the community market and they were removed recently due to a DMCA notice. i wasnt given a notifiactation or any heads up that they were removed. i was also not compensated. they removed items from my account that i had paid for and they never sent a single notification. i asked for a list of all items removed from my acount in the last 90 days and they refused!

This is not an attorney referral site. Furthermore, your cause of action is not against Steam, rather, it's against the community member who sold you something that he had no right to sell.

quincy

Apparently the emoticons (and other removed items) you purchased were copyright-protected. Whether you knew this at the time of purchase does not matter. By using the emoticons without the copyright holder's authorization, you were infringing on his rights.

The copyright holder does not appear to be taking legal action against you or any others who may have purchased and used the emoticons - although he could. For works that are federally registered, the copyright holder is eligible to collect statutory damages of between $750 and $30,000 per infringed work.

You have no legal recourse against Steam. You could seek reimbursement from the member who sold you the infringed works - if you know his identity or want to go to the expense of finding it out.

Last edited:

xylene

Further, it's a video game site.

How much money are we talking about here? 5 bucks? 50 bucks?

That's a lot of lather over nothing.

quincy

Further, it's a video game site.

How much money are we talking about here? 5 bucks? 50 bucks?

That's a lot of lather over nothing.
Agreed. The value of the items are likely less than what the costs would be to pursue a legal action.

dware94, you say you have some money. You might want to hang onto it for now to see what happens. On the offchance you receive a demand letter from the copyright holder or you are sued for infringement, you will want to make an appointment with an IP attorney in your area.

dware94

This is not an attorney referral site. Furthermore, your cause of action is not against Steam, rather, it's against the community member who sold you something that he had no right to sell.
im looking for free advice, not a referral. the name of this site? this is not about some free skin that i aquired from the community. this is about items i bought directly through steam that were stolen and i received no compenstation for.

quincy

im looking for free advice, not a referral. the name of this site? this is not about some free skin that i aquired from the community. this is about items i bought directly through steam that were stolen and i received no compenstation for.
What you purchased belonged to someone other than the seller.

You are not compensated for stolen items you purchase. You return stolen items to the owner of the items.

You can attempt reimbursement from the one who sold you the stolen items but the costs are apt to outweigh the benefits - and you are still in a position where you can be sued.

Last edited:

dware94

Agreed. The value of the items are likely less than what the costs would be to pursue a legal action.

dware94, you say you have some money. You might want to hang onto it for now to see what happens. On the offchance you receive a demand letter from the copyright holder or you are sued for infringement, you will want to make an appointment with an IP attorney in your area.
its not about the money and i made that clear in the first sentence. im not liable for it, go back to school crazy

CdwJava

You may want to read the limits of their liability on third party content ... such as on the Community Marketplace.

You can copy and paste to their link: http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

From the sound of it you have no claim against them and any attempt will simply result in summary dismissal. Do you really want to pump tens of thousands of dollars to roll the dice when they are likely to come up snake eyes at the outset?

Just Blue

It does sound stupid....;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You bought it from the other guy/gal using Steam as the intermediary, much like the way eBay works.

quincy

its not about the money and i made that clear in the first sentence. im not liable for it, go back to school crazy
You can be held liable for infringement. Innocent infringement is still infringement.

Lawsuits are about money.

Crazy, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">