• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal advise possible attorney needed for internet scam artist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

burninrubr6

I am located in Slatington, PA (18080). In September 2010 I posted an add on craiglist ,in the barter section, to have body work done on a project car of my fathers and mine. In exchange for the body work i would give a toolbox and complete motor in the agreed amount of $3950.00. The man is performing the work as a side job not anyway involved with a business, and was made aware on many occasions we were on a budget. He took the car in November of 2010 along with the toolbox and motor (he was to work on it at his leisure. I have been in contact with him through out the project as he needed different parts that needed to also be replaced. One time dropping of parts he told us this was taking more time then he expected and might not get it done. At that time we asked if it was going to be more money, he told us no and he would get it done (I have that in an email), and we told him if it would cost more we would need to know prior because we didn't have a lot of money. In August of 2011, after numerous emails asking for him to price out what it would cost to primer and paint the car, he responded saying that we now owed him $2950 for work that he agreed to do for the barter. At that time I denied paying him because we did not okay any money nor did he tell us anything before doing it. He then said he was going to charge me storage. I called the police and said i wanted them to go with me to get my car as he has no right to with hold it and the denied helping me saying that it is a civil matter and i need to take him to court. As of last week he sent me a certified letter stating that my bill was now $3950. I need help in obtaining my car. Does he stand a chance in court. I have all emails from him to prove everything. PLEASE HELP ME

swalsh411

The PA small claims court limit is 8k. Assuming the car is not worth this much, sue him in small claims court for the value of the car. He has the right to counter-sue but without an agreement to pay these charges (additional labor and storage) I don't think his chances are very good.

burninrubr6

The car is a 1965 k code mustang with a as is approximate value with of $10,500 and is worth over $20,000 when fully restored. This does not include the work done to car.
Im worried that he will either start selling parts or sabotage my car. I pics before and during resto but a smart body tech can screw someone without knowing.

Thanks for reply

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">