• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posting fake positive reviews online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? All states

Posters often come to the forum with questions about negative reviews posted online about themselves and their business products or services, with the negative reviews often based on false claims. And negative reviews, especially fake negative reviews, are definitely a problem.

Some sites like RipOff Report and Yelp reviews and Sitejabber have been sued over the published fake reviews and false ratings appearing on their review sites (with mixed results), and lawsuits have been filed against those who have created the negative reviews.

What is perhaps lesser known but equally harmful is that of fake positive reviews posted for businesses. These fake positive reviews and ratings are as deceptive as the fake negative reviews.

What both positive and negative fake reviews can do is confuse consumers and influence consumers' business decisions.

Following is a link to the FTC on fake endorsements. You can also look for a "SearchEngineLand.com" article on a few SEO companies that have been fined for offering reputation management services in violation of state and federal unfair and deceptive trade practices laws (see "What are the risks for businesses getting fake reviews on Google?").

The businesses that hire these disreputable reputation management companies are not immune from suit.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/ftcs-endorsement-guides-what-people-are-asking

The lesson for consumers is to take what is offered as a review or a rating with a hefty dose of skepticism.

And, for an amusing look at how ratings and reviews can be, and are, manipulated, search for the Washington Post story about "The Shed at Dulwich," a non-existent London restaurant created by freelance writer Oobah Butler that was rated London's top restaurant on Trip Advisor.

Last edited:

quincy

"The Shed at Dulwich"?

I think H. P. Lovecraft wrote that story.

:D
Haha. It sounds like Lovecraft. :)

If you haven't yet read about the fake restaurant named The Shed, and how it managed to wind up being the top-rated restaurant in London, you really should read it. The story, written by Eli Rosenberg for the Washington Post's December 8 edition, is a funny one. Butler even created and published a fake menu with photos of fake meals (the meals created from sponges and glue are surprisingly tasty-looking).

The story should make you question the truthfulness of all reviews, both positive and negative.

Last edited:

quincy

Haha. It sounds like Lovecraft. :)

If you haven't yet read about the fake restaurant named The Shed, and how it managed to wind up being the top-rated restaurant in London, you really should read it. The story, written by Eli Rosenberg for the Washington Post's December 8 edition, is a funny one. Butler even created and published a fake menu with photos of fake meals (the meals created from sponges and glue are surprisingly tasty-looking).

The story should make you question the truthfulness of all reviews, both positive and negative.
Here is a link to the Washington Post story about the non-existent restaurant with the fake reviews:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/food/wp/2017/12/08/it-was-londons-top-rated-restaurant-just-one-problem-it-didnt-exist/

justalayman

Hey, don’t disparage the Shed. Great atmosphere: it’s like a feeling of being one with nature; great food, especially their calorie free specials.

And I want to change my name to: Oobah. What a mysterious name.

Last edited:

quincy

Hey, don’t disparage the Shed. Great atmosphere: it’s like a feeling of being one with nature; great food, especially their calorie free specials.

And I want to change my name to: Oobah. What a mysterious name.
Hahaha. I think you could have a future successful career in fake-review writing, justalayman, even without a mysterious name like Oobah. :)

justalayman

Hahaha. I think you could have a future successful career in fake-review writing, justalayman, even without a mysterious name like Oobah. :)
Is there money in it? I’m sure I could write more authentic sounding reviews than many I read that are obviously fake reviews.

quincy

Is there money in it? I’m sure I could write more authentic sounding reviews than many I read that are obviously fake reviews.
Yup. There can be money in it (or free stuff like products/meals).

Of course, when you write fake reviews, there are legal issues that can crop up and some of these legal issues can wind up costing you far more than you receive in compensation for the reviews.

Here is another link that indicates the types of fines that can be assessed for deceiving the public through the publishing of fake reviews: https://www.getfivestars.com/blog/car-dealers-fined-3-6-million-fake-reviews-deceptive-practices/

I personally do not think writing fake negative or positive reviews worth the financial risk. :)

Last edited:

justalayman

Yup. There can be money in it (or free stuff like products/meals).

Of course, when you write fake reviews, there are legal issues that can crop up and some of these legal issues can wind up costing you far more than you receive in compensation for the reviews.

Here is another link that indicates the types of fines that can be assessed for deceiving the public through the publishing of fake reviews: https://www.getfivestars.com/blog/car-dealers-fined-3-6-million-fake-reviews-deceptive-practices/

I personally do not think writing fake negative or positive reviews worth the financial risk. :)
Darn. That would almost be money for nothing (too old to worry about free chicks).

quincy

Darn. That would almost be money for nothing (too old to worry about free chicks).
The fines can be hefty ones. :)

The FTC link I provided earlier outlines how you should write reviews and what should be disclosed in them so consumers are not deceived. One example is mentioning in your review that you have been compensated by the business for writing the review (e.g., free meal, coupons) and another example is mentioning in your review any personal relationship you have with the individual/entity being reviewed (e.g., spouse, employee).

Honest reviews, both positive and negative, serve a valid purpose. Fake reviews, not so much.

justalayman

The fines can be hefty ones. :)

The FTC link I provided earlier outlines how you should write reviews and what should be disclosed in them so consumers are not deceived. One example is mentioning in your review that you have been compensated by the business for writing the review (e.g., free meal, coupons) and another example is mentioning in your review any personal relationship you have with the individual/entity being reviewed (e.g., spouse, employee).

Honest reviews, both positive and negative, serve a valid purpose. Fake reviews, not so much.
Not a dire straits fan?

Writing a review would be almost as good:

You play the guitar on the MTV
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it

quincy

Not a dire straits fan?

Writing a review would be almost as good:

You play the guitar on the MTV
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
I am not a Dire Straits fan apparently, if I need to be a Dire Straits fan to understand your post. :D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What flashback? I hear it every other day...but I also have both "Dire Straits" and "Mark Knopfler" as stations on my Pandora internet music service ;)

quincy

Love the Dire Straits flashback!
So I DO need to be a Dire Straits fan to fully appreciate (understand) justalayman's post.

Darn.

With my inability to catch all of FlyingRon's book and movie references and latigo's book and tv references and now justalayman's music references, I feel woefully undereducated. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">