• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Product is different than advertised

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qwer

Pennsylvania

I purchased a book from my university bookstore's website. The book was advertised with a specific title, ISBN #, and year of publication. This information was unique to this book, and did not result in other such products when googled. Prior to ordering, I had called to inquire about the book and I was informed that the item was a special edition compiled by the publisher for this specific class.

The book that arrived had a different title, ISBN #, and year of publication. This was the correct book for the class, but was not the item advertised. This book is a mass-market book available elsewhere.

The store is willing to accept my return this time (they have a 1 day book return policy and we picked up the book up right before they closed yesterday). Yet, it is my understanding that this is common practice for this bookstore, and I may have to do business with them again. Since this situation may arise again, I want to know some general information about such situations, especially when a return is refused.

My questions are:
1a) What are my rights as a consumer regarding my demands for a refund in such a situation (assuming the item is in the same condition as it was when I purchased it)?
1b) If I have such rights, at what point do I have them? I.e., do I have the right to expect them to allow me to return the book for a full refund the moment I notice the book is not the one advertised? Do these rights come into play the moment they tell me directly it is one thing and then sell me another thing?
2) If they do not allow me to return the item, is it okay to dispute the charge through my credit card company/request a charge back?
3) If the company is at fault in this situation, what is it they are at fault for? I.e., is this "false advertising," "fraudulent charges," both, and/or something else entirely?

Thank you!

Edited for clarification/context

Last edited:

adjusterjack

The store is willing to accept my return this time
Then that is all the "right" that you have which makes your questions useless and a waste of time.

Go bring the book back and get the right book.

It's that simple.

There's nothing else in this for you.

qwer

Then that is all the "right" that you have which makes your questions useless and a waste of time.

Go bring the book back and get the right book.

It's that simple.

There's nothing else in this for you.
There is still plenty in this for me. First, I may have to purchase from this story again - which sometimes does sell custom book packets, but oftentimes will say a book edition or packet is custom when it is not, in which case I need to know what rights I may have. Second, I may be in a similar situation with another seller in the future, and having an actual answer to these questions (i.e., what my rights are when an item sold is not the same as the one advertised, when may I dispute a charge) would be useful. The general principles I am inquiring about regarding consumer law apply well beyond this specific situation. Third, my spouse and I have many friends who also purchase books through this place. If many people whom we know are affected by this, then we can notify them to explore their options in similar situations.

Also, I know this is my first time posting on this forum and I notice you have many posts - but it is rude and unhelpful to not answer a question and just say that a question is a waste of time.

quincy

There is still plenty in this for me. First, I may have to purchase from this story again - which sometimes does sell custom book packets, but oftentimes will say a book edition or packet is custom when it is not, in which case I need to know what rights I may have. Second, I may be in a similar situation with another seller in the future, and having an actual answer to these questions (i.e., what my rights are when an item sold is not the same as the one advertised, when may I dispute a charge) would be useful. The general principles I am inquiring about regarding consumer law apply well beyond this specific situation. Third, my spouse and I have many friends who also purchase books through this place. If many people whom we know are affected by this, then we can notify them to explore their options in similar situations.

Also, I know this is my first time posting on this forum and I notice you have many posts - but it is rude and unhelpful to not answer a question and just say that a question is a waste of time.
You have the right to receive the correct product that you ordered. If the product received is not what you ordered, you have the right to return it.

Here is a link to the FTC on unordered merchandise: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

You are bound, however, by the return/refund/ exchange policies you agree to when purchasing an item.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The book you received is the book you need for the class. What's the problem? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">